Kenyan 2003 from H&V (sorry Steve)

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kenyan 2003 from H&V (sorry Steve)

Postby phil » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:20 am

I'm playing with a Kenyan at the moment. This is an interesting coffee to roast as it really doesn't get too "busy" in the cracks, so it's a bit harder to judge the degree of roast. I've just tried my second roast of this stuff since I got the new chip in the Hottop, this time a bit lighter than the last. There's still too much "roast" in the flavour for my preference with this coffee, even though I brought it up just short (I think - see the above) of 2nd crack. However, the acidity started to show better as the cup cooled, only to achieve a slightly metallic edge after a while. Not really "winey" though.

This bean is Charlie's 2003 Main Crop (Ruera if that means anything to you). I like the winey acidity of my Kenyans to be in balance with the other flavours but I just haven't got this one sorted yet. I notice Charlie says he takes this bean "medium to medium dark roast". Maybe I'm going too light? Or perhaps it needs a bit more maturing (I tasted it at 34 hours post roast, or thereabouts).

What do you think? Any advice welcomed. Needless to say I bought this batch of greens before I got to know you, Steve.
phil
Founder Member

A day later

Postby phil » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:00 am

Ahh, this is definitely a coffee that requires more rest.

It's also still fairly "roasty" and not strongly "varietal" so maybe it needs to go lighter still. The metallic edge when cool is gone now though, I'm pleased to say. That said, I have a feeling that I previously (old chip) took this Kenyan (or the other one I got a long time back from Ministry of Coffee) too light. I must check my roasting log.

However, my general feeling is that it needs to go lighter still.

Allyson isn't too keen on this coffee. She likes fairly lightweight stuff (although she tend to like Micha Java blends when I do them). It'll be interesting to see what she makes of the Kona when I roast it. For myself, I love big, winey Kenyans. You can't please everyone. :(
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:07 am

Kenya is the king of the filter machine. I too love the winey slighly acidic taste of kenyan. I always give kenya to people who dont normally drink good coffee as its so distinct.

I always keep it light, kenya doesnt deserve to be taken dark, it doesnt like and neither does my pallette :)

Try mixeing a little costa rican in with it, just to take the harshness of the acidity off, it works a treat. I'm sure your good lady will love it then

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Actually ....

Postby phil » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:51 am

I think what Allyson is complaining about is the big fat roasty taste. She likes less roasty flavours, so maybe there's hope for her yet. When I accidentally roasted a Costa Rica Riserva Presidente into 2nd (which it survived admirably by the way - a bit like a "leaner" Colombian) she hated it because it was so full-on and roasty, but roasted lighter it's one of her favourite coffees.

I'll definitely have to do another batch, lighter again as you say. It's a very difficult bean to judge, this one, so that's why I'm struggling to find the right roast. Ho hum. :?

(Footnote - although Shelly swears that Hottop haven't changed the roasting profile with the new chip, in practice that does seem to be the effect. I'm having to "re-learn" all of my beans).
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:27 pm

Is there an improvemnt with the new chip or would it be better to go back to the old one? Just a thought :lol:
Steve
Founder Member

New chip

Postby phil » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:01 pm

Oh definitely an improvement overall, it lets me play silly buggers with the voltage (as a rough proxy for controlling the temperature ramp) whereas previously it just over-heated.

Long term all of this is a good thing as it forces me to concentrate on the skill of roasting rather than just repeating previous roasts.
phil
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping