My first real attempt at a blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Joris » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:52 pm

Bean_Reliever wrote:Heheh... me neither Joris... I may even have the descriptor wrong... but uhm, find a piece of cardboard like the ones on the back of a notepad and taste it :lol: Or wet it with some water and smell it.

I think I'll go for option 2 thank you :shock:

Bean_Reliever wrote:Must roast tonight as this week's "roasted by HB" treats are disappearing at a very alarming rate. We can't stop ourselves :shock: :D We start rationing tonight else we'll have nothing for Monday :cry:

I know what you mean, I must ration myself as well otherwise there will be no San Roberto left for tomorrow :(
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Beanie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:07 pm

Joris wrote:
Bean_Reliever wrote:

Reliever??? :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Joris » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:08 pm

:lol: no it was not a typo ;)

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Postby Beanie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:11 pm

:shock: I was afraid of that :P shhh, Joris... now the rumours are really gonna start ;) :lol:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:52 pm

Know what you mean Beany. The cardboard thing used to happen with young IMEX roasts, but it's a thing of the past with the Super Gene :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Joris » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:38 pm

Update on taste, I let someone else taste a shot (which was a way better pour than the one I had :() and the first thing he asked if I had put vanilla in it. After trying one myself I found out that he was right... now where did that come from ? :?

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:54 pm

Cool! There was a vanilla undertone to one of the coffees we cupped at Steve's last year. Sadly, I cannot remember which one :( . I do wonder if it was OBJ (though that doesn't sound right somehow) - maybe BeanyGirl or Breako could confirm, or the master himself perhaps? :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:59 pm

It was the tird one along

First was harrar, then a strawberry one and then the vanilla...can't remember what it was though, not OBJ tho'.
espressomattic

Postby Joris » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:02 pm

It can't have been the robusta, obj, or Kenya. I don't recon it's the Brazil either, have drunk that a lot as SO and never had vanilla.... Now the Sulawesi I've got I did not try as an SO yet so... my guess it's the Sulawesi.

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Postby Steve » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:03 pm

Hey Cakey, I cant remember what I cupped yesterday, let alone hundreds of cups later :)

I do find Vanilla on the cupping table but normally rough vanilla (if that makes sense) not the false plastic type you find in essence etc, and normally in Colombians or similar milds.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:43 pm

I know what you are saying Steve. It was like a vanilla pod to me and is the only time to date that I have experienced it. Not as good as your "special" cupping coffee sat on its own on the other side of the table though :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:56 pm

You sure it wasn't coconut, Cakey? ;) :P Uhm... I remember, from the left, it was Ethiopian Harrar, then Sumatra Lintong. I also remember that there were 2 Indonesians side-by-side, and I could've sworn OBJ was the 3rd one. I thought the "Vanilla" was either the 4th or 5th from the left. From the right, it was Cach Screen-Dried, then Cach regular.

PS. I can't think what vanilla "essence" is like... I've had "extract" but prefer to use the pods for my recipes :D Hmmm... this is reminding me of that "tinned strawberry" discussion - I still don't know what that tastes like.
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:02 am

That is it. I nearly said the Cach but talked my way out of it for some reason. There were two that I muttered on about vanilla (though different in each) and Beany just kicked me (as she does - nothing to do with the coffee). It must have been the Cach because of there being two with vanilla.

Vanilla essence is over sweet as Steve said, and I find it a little chemical flavoured sometimes too.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:11 am

Am trying to fill in the blanks... from the left it was: 1-Harrar, 2-Lintong, 3-OBJ, 4-?, 5-?, 6-?, 7-Cachoeira, 8-Cachoeira Screen Dried. Then again, did we have 7 cups or 8? I know there were 2 Indo's together (apart from the Sumatra? or not?) - and in my mind, it was OBJ and another Java for comparison purposes. I think, Cakey, you were girlishly screaming out "vanilla" for the 3rd one - which I believe is the OBJ; however, that was only after the cups had cooled quite considerably, no? Or was it the Lintong's strawberry you were squealing about when it cooled?
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:12 am

Both possibly, being a rather squealy girl! :roll: :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping