'Instant Coffee' - whoops sorry for that offensive phrase!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

'Instant Coffee' - whoops sorry for that offensive phrase!

Postby lastcoyote » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:50 pm

:shock: Ok ok ok i know that it's a virtual sin but you know you gotta have some of the stuff in the cupboard for guests etc.. and if you just fancy a quick coffee in the advert break of your favourite program.

So my question is if you really must have to buy some of the freeze dried stuff what brand should it be?

Please don't hate me! :lol:
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby scook94 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:15 pm

If it's just for guests then who cares? As for ad breaks, an aeropress is almost as quick...
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby espressomattic » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm

To be honest...why bother, it takes just as long to boil the kettle as pull a shot etc. Why not treat your guests to real coffee.

There is no good freeze dried stuff and that I thinkis the bottom line.

I don't hate you at all, but why not try giving your guests a choice/taste comparison and let them choose?

I can't even think of a 'decent' brand - Mellow irds come to mind or Camp Coffee ;)
espressomattic

Postby lastcoyote » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:09 pm

Oh come on guys give me a break! :roll: Yes I know it's just as quick to pull a shot etc....but just to satisfy my curiosity i thought some one would know of an instant coffee that if you had to have one you'd choose that over say 'nes-the fruit of deviiiil-cafe' :twisted:
Also at the moment we only have instant coffee on hand at work..so...
I can feel that i'm not gonna get anywhere here..
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby Beanie » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:21 pm

Sorry coyote, if I'm offered instant "coffee", I'll go without thank you :) And I'm with breakomattic... my machine is usually on when at home... During ad breaks, I can make 2 capps, clean my milk pitcher, and pf-wiggle rinse & brush clean the grouphead without having to be in a mad rush. So no excuses ;) Guess you'll have to practise working a little bit faster :P

If the weather's not cooperating (by being too darn hot last week) and I skip a roast, I don't serve my guests my "older" roasts that have gone past peak. Quite frankly, I was taught to serve my guests with better than or at least equal to what I would require for myself. So today, our dinner guest didn't get offered coffee as I didn't have any "good" stuff for him. The "left-over" 3-wk old roast is reserved for home use this week. We've also been drinking less coffee lately cause it's just kinda mmmeehhh after 2 weeks :(. Thankfully, new roast is about to occur and we'll have fresh coffee again by the wknd :D And if the "old" roast is not finished... it'll get ground up and go into the fridge in place of baking soda for "odor & moisture" absorption purposes before being dumped out.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Paul L » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:46 pm

ANSWER:
---------
Sorry Coyote, I'm with the other comments here not out of snobbery but purely taste. 18 months ago I would not have believed that I would not be able to drink an instant myself but it does seem that as you immerse yourself into fresh coffee you become more and more detached from 'coffee substitutes' as I light-heartedly mock quaffers with.

ALTERNATIVE:
----------------
If someone wants an instant it means nipping over the road to buy some and I couldn't give a 5hit what they get. The smallest, cheapest jar basically. However, when I drunk instant, Cap Columbie or another alleged Columbian was my diet.

ALTERNATIVE:
----------------
Keep plenty of beans around at different stages of settling and make an Aeropress brew for them. My journey continues, every time I make a coffee at work there is someone else in the kitchen and I always offer them to smell the roast I have taken in that day and to taste the result with a teaspoon. No-one declines.

ALTERNATIVE:
----------------
Friends are worth the effort. If they're not friends or have previously proven dismissive tell 'em you're out of coffee and it's tea or one of the Twinings fruit jobbies (laxative optional) :twisted:
Paul L

Postby lastcoyote » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:47 pm

you are all right..you've shown me the error of my ways.
please forgive me....obviously just had a funny five minutes there that's all... :roll:
right back to my usual self...got some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe to look forward to tomorrow anyways so everythings good..

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby espressomattic » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:42 pm

Sorry, I didn't want to sound snobby, but we had a chap round doing some work and I offered him some Canario, explained I had just roasted it and told him about the bean, and he loved it. The nexttime he was round I had run out and he really wanted a coffee and my mum had a jar and he insisted an instan was OK. It was horrible to look at and I was really embarrassed to give him it. I would rather give someone a Tea or hot Chocolate instead.

How about instant Tea instead????? ;)
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:17 am

Hi Coyote. Don't mind everyone here. At least they have stopped the ritual sacrifice of those that mention the "I" word :wink: .

The problem is that coffee solids have little to do with real coffee and are, along with badly prepared espresso, one of the main reasons that most of the population have never tasted decent coffee. If you must have some in then buy a "Gold" version that claims to have Arabica in it, but to be honest, I would either not bother to have the people round or would just serve tea if for some reason they couldn't be served with real coffee from my machine.

Remember, if you serve the real thing, you are doing your bit toward educating those that have not yet had the pleasure of decent coffee. If you want a quick coffee during the adverts, leave your espresso machine on - there is plenty of time to pull a shot :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby stigin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:31 am

Might I suggest buying one of these:

and freeze dry your own coffee...
life's too short to drink bad coffee! Image
HasBean Beans -> Caffe Rosto -> Rocky Doserless -> Miss Silvia -> Me -> Grindenstein + Pallo
stigin

Postby SimonG » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:58 am

At work I have to make to with a Caffe Ritazza, where despite their poster claims and friendly staff, the turn out some truly awful coffee. I tend to stick to tea instead.

My favourite are Jasmine Downey Pearls - green tea leaves infused with Jasmine and hand rolled into tiny balls. they look like mice droppings, but unfold in your cup and make a beatiuful, refreshing drink. Best thing is that you use three per cup, but can top it up three times before they run out and dont' need milk so no need to buy a pint every 3 days to throw most of it away. They are eye-wateringly expensive, but last for ages!

http://www.mightyleafteas.co.uk/product ... spx?ID=126

Simon
Rancilio Miss Silvia
Rancilio Rocky
Reg Barber Tamper
Currently drinking Hasbean El Salvador Finca La Fany Bourbon.
SimonG

Postby lastcoyote » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:28 am

CakeBoy wrote:...to be honest, I would either not bother to have the people round...

^ that made me laugh :lol:
i do actually have some friends that don't like coffee at all....maybe i should tell them that we should part our ways...you know...for the best. :)

i think you guys have got me wrong though....believe me..instant coffee (said it again!)...i hate the stuff! i was just curious....but then we know what that did to the cat!

I'll give those Jasmine Downey Pearls a go actually Simon...i love fine teas too.

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:01 am

*stay of execution*

You just wanted to wind us up didn't you, you cheeky scallywag you ;)
espressomattic

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:59 am

espressomattic wrote:*stay of execution*

You just wanted to wind us up didn't you, you cheeky scallywag you ;)

You mean it's a joke:shock: :shock:

Damn! I've already put the contract out.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Paul L » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:01 am

can I make a suggestion that I-C is now reffered to as Coffee-Substitute, better still some clever software that will autocorrect. Not being too serious of course

Except in a psychological sense, if you want to get a message across it needs a strong mental image as we know. Folks chuckle when I inoffensively use the C-S phrase, but it works. Folks tell me the ohrase haunts them when using instant, except for the denial approach like smokers etc.
Paul L

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping