Back to the blending

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Back to the blending

Postby simonp » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:39 pm

I've been really lazy recently, just roasting Toba Sulawesi blend, but had soem time at the weekend to roast some beans for a blend again.

Roast 1 : 250g Brazilian Cachoera Screen Dried (Hasbean), my first roast of this, taken 20 seconds into 2nd crack

Roast 2 : A mix of 80g Kalosi (HB), 80g Etheopian Harar Horse (Sweet Marias), 80g Indian Peaberry Bold (HB), I took this a little in to a rolling 2nd.

I have only tried on shot with thses beans (after 48 hours rest), I mixed 11g of the Cach with 11g of Roast 2. Not bad at all, Smooth, buttery caramel, a little fruit, and quite a spicy aftertaste, which I suspect is the Harar and Indian. Imust try the Cach on its own to see how the screen dried stuff compares with the old favourite.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:10 pm

You will not be dissappointed mate...that screen dried Cahch is tops. I have also recently tried a belnd of Harrar/Kalosi/Robusta with it and it really stands out against them and gives a real clean edge to the cup. I have found that anyting more than just before 2nd ruins the Cach IMHO, and mask all those lovely flavours it holds. Go on give it a try, you know you want to :D

Matt
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:31 am

The blends sound great as alwways. Are you using the regular varietal screen dried or the Canaria version Simon? I have tried the non-screen dried and the Canaria (screen dried). The latter is creamier than the first for me, whereas the non-screen dried has the buttery type caramel. As yet, the regular screen dried has escaped my clutches :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:02 am

Ah yes that Canario...jusy plain lovely...I concurr with SPongey, very creamy, very low acidity...in fact everything you would expect a coffee to be. It has got to be a classic.
espressomattic

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:46 am

CakeBoy wrote:The blends sound great as alwways. Are you using the regular varietal screen dried or the Canaria version Simon? I have tried the non-screen dried and the Canaria (screen dried). The latter is creamier than the first for me, whereas the non-screen dried has the buttery type caramel. As yet, the regular screen dried has escaped my clutches :D

I.....I....I...erm.....er....

Yesterday I went out on my bike. :roll:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Beanie » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:49 am

:lol: :lol: Mr. George
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:51 am

S'ok George, I have no idea what I said now either :(. Must go .... trying to fill the kettle with that damned teaspoon :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby kingseven » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:17 am

The Cachoeira Canario isn't screen dried, its just a pulped. I am talking to Gabriel about whether or not he can screen dry the small lots of canario next year.

The screen dried Yellow Bourbon is really an excellent coffee no matter how you brew it - filter, espresso, french press....
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 am

kingseven wrote:The Cachoeira Canario isn't screen dried, its just a pulped. I am talking to Gabriel about whether or not he can screen dry the small lots of canario next year.

The screen dried Yellow Bourbon is really an excellent coffee no matter how you brew it - filter, espresso, french press....

Sorry, I misread Steve's cupping notes. Looks like it's time to try the screen dried ...... so more greens on the groaning shelf .... and more again if you talk Gabriel into screen drying some Canario next year and it becomes commerically available :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:24 pm

It was the screen dried Cachoera, the Canario is too pricey for me :wink:

I'm not sure I would try Cach stopped before 2nd in espresso. I tried this once, and it was sour and grassy, although it was very nice the the press pot.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby simonp » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:00 pm

I tried a slightly different mix today, 40% Cach, and 60% of roast 2. This gave a little more intensity to the flavour, and the Harar came through more. This was, I think, better than the first mix.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:11 am

simonp wrote:I tried a slightly different mix today, 40% Cach, and 60% of roast 2. This gave a little more intensity to the flavour, and the Harar came through more. This was, I think, better than the first mix.

That sounds like a very nice and quite complex blend. How did your Indian Peaberry beans look once roasted? Mine (in the IMEX) were an interesting light colour during roasting - almost grey for a while with a mottled effect. Tried them SO, they were interesting and I thought would make a great base for a blend or as a calming accent flavour.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:16 pm

I found out a recent cupping the Indian Peaberry is a huge coffee when taken just to just before second, which really shocked me as I'd been taking it into second.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Steve wrote:I found out a recent cupping the Indian Peaberry is a huge coffee when taken just to just before second, which really shocked me as I'd been taking it into second.

Cool, I still have some left and will roast it accordingly. Thanks Steve :P My only problem is knowing when second is imminent. I struggle to hear the cracks at all being a little on the hard of hearing side :?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:34 pm

Pardon?
espressomattic

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping