Robusta Poll

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What do you think of Robusta?

I love it. I love the 'extra' crema, I love that typical tang!
16%
I would love some extra crema... but that Robusta-tang is to much for me. So I blend a little Robusta with these great Arabica-beans.
21%
I use Robusta-beans only when I run out of 'Arabica' or in other emergency cases.
No votes
Never ever will I use Robusta! I've tasted it couple of times but: no. NO THANKS.
53%
I will never roast Robusta myselve, but unfortunately the coffee served at my work exist primaraly out of Robusta beans.
5%
No comment. Call me a weasel if you like...
5%
I only want the best for my tongue, my stomach... and to get my daily caffeine-portion, I compensate by drinking more Robusta...
No votes

Total votes : 19

Robusta Poll

Postby michel » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:47 pm

Just wondering (and wanting to create a Poll at least once in my life): 'We didn't have a poll on Robusta yet..?' Correct? So I was thinking: What do you all think of Robusta beans... In general a lot of people seem to use them, although a lot of CoffeeLovers won't admit it.
So I thought its time for a honest poll.
michel

Postby phil » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:58 pm

Me : no way. Never touch the stuff. Anyone want the 2kg I have in stock and have decided I don't want?

Sadly, I have to drink the liquid excrement provided for free in the office. Cheers, BP! Don't you think as one of the ten largest corporations in the world, and the second-largest oil company in the world, you could manage something better? Cheapskates! :-(

Hey, Eeffoc! Get over here and vote for your beloved Disgusta! He had the cheek to criticise the ristrettos I pulled for him the other day because "they'd have more crema if you put some Robusta in"!!!

Wash your mouth out!

(Only joking mate! Honest!)
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:17 pm

Tasted robusta at Steve's. No thanks! I voted Never.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby chrish » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:56 pm

I use Robusta-beans only when I run out of 'Arabica' or in other emergency cases.
???

No, in emergency cases I turn to alcohol!
chrish

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:56 am

Esspresso and robusta go together like gin and tonic but its a careful mix. Toomuch of one ingredient and it tastes bad. The art of blending in robusta is so you cant tell its there until you look at the crema.

Its took my a while to get it right (but I like to think I have now). My Espresso blend is my biggest selling roasted bean I sell. And I do have a none robusta espresso too, which most try and go back to the normal espresso as people say its missing that little something.

It comes sown to what robusta your useing. I have three types of robusta and there different ends of the spectrum when it comes to quality, grade of bean and taste.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:20 am

chrish wrote:
???

No, in emergency cases I turn to alcohol!

For breakfast? Call the AA! :lol:
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby cleverdic » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:57 am

Surely the choice of the Robusta bean is important. I would have thought that the more discerning supplier would take care to choose quality Robusta beans to sell alongside their Arabica range and that these beans are acceptable to add to a blend (up to 10%) in order to improve crema.

Or are we saying that ALL Robusta beans are c**p :?:

Richard
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Postby quink » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:00 pm

Tried it once, never again. It made me want to go to work and drink the instant filth they provide there, Hmm nescafe. And as a special treat last month we had Tesco's own medium roast instant, which almost made me not go back for another. Actually if that or the robusta were next to each other I'm not sure what I'd take.
quink

Postby moccafaux » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:13 pm

My standard reply to the statement "robusta provides the crema": you dont need that s... if the coffee is FRESH.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby kingseven » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:07 pm

In the demonstration coffee we use there is a fair amount of Robusta, but if you are giving away a lot of free coffee the maths make sense. These days there are a number of treatments that reduce the negative taste characteristics of Robusta, so it is finding its way into more and more blends (which just has the effect of increasing people's caffeine consumption)
You can taste it, and a good robusta can add a pleasing earthiness to an espresso, but isn't so great with milk. The crema it produces is quite impressive, you can get it over 15mm thick with the right extraction. But I don't count Robusta coffees are "gourmet", if that makes any sense. They will always be bettered by a well blended, well roasted pure Arabica.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:24 pm

I think thats a little un fair moccafaux. Fresh coffee of course is important but what your saying is the blend doent matter :shock:
Steve
Founder Member

Postby moccafaux » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:17 am

I am not yet that experienced in the fine art of blending :cry: .
One thing I noticed, however: when I switched to home-roasting, I suddenly had lots and lots of crema. Much more than the 1-2mm previously found in the glass. The difference between a pure arabica-blend and one with robusta in it was noticable with the ones I bought, though. As was the taste: with robusta: :shock: , without: :)
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:24 am

Tis true as most people in blending over do the robusta or use poor quality beans. But with just the right ammount and good quality robusta its very good. The art of good robusta blending is that you dont know its there, apart from the crema.

In my ealry days of blending I didnt quite get it, but of late I think I have it sorted, with around 5-10% of good quality robusta, semsitivley added to even better quality Arabica makes for a great Espresso coffee.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:27 pm

I am a Robusta convert. I thought of myself as an Arabica purist. A long time ago I tried Steve's espresso blend, and some of you may remember that I was not happy with the Robusta aftertaste in the what is a very good blend otherwise. (Glad to hear you fixed it, Steve!) :)

I still had a small batch of Indian Washed Robusta from H&V and decided to try it out in my own blend. Originally I went for 10% and I was blown away by the amazing extra punch it gave to the blend. I even increased the percentage to 15% and still it tastes great. Forget about burnt rubber, not in this one! I think the infamous Charley Massey calls it "Indian Harrar". Phil, I know you don't want to touch the stuff, but you should at least try this one. If you don't like it I will never trouble you again with it.

I don't need the Robusta for crema, just for the extra kick to liven the espresso up.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:31 pm

I agree sunny its about good robusta too.

Bad robusta will just taste of rubber, its just the same as any other bean. Theres just a lot more bad robusta about than good ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping