Robusta Poll

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What do you think of Robusta?

I love it. I love the 'extra' crema, I love that typical tang!
16%
I would love some extra crema... but that Robusta-tang is to much for me. So I blend a little Robusta with these great Arabica-beans.
21%
I use Robusta-beans only when I run out of 'Arabica' or in other emergency cases.
No votes
Never ever will I use Robusta! I've tasted it couple of times but: no. NO THANKS.
53%
I will never roast Robusta myselve, but unfortunately the coffee served at my work exist primaraly out of Robusta beans.
5%
No comment. Call me a weasel if you like...
5%
I only want the best for my tongue, my stomach... and to get my daily caffeine-portion, I compensate by drinking more Robusta...
No votes

Total votes : 19

Postby phil » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:41 pm

Mmmm. the only thing is Sunny, since I'm firmly in the "post-blend" camp I'd either have to invent a pre-blend just for the purpose of trying the Robusta, or alternatively roast a whole 250g and drink espresso instead of water!
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:52 pm

The Robusta I mentioned (Indian Washed) roasts quite quickly. If you roast it slightly too dark, it does not gain or lose in taste much. And besides it will only be 10% of your blend. You have to become a part-time pre-blender, I am afraid!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby quink » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:36 am

Ok, I originally voted, tried a couple of times but no thanks. However since then I've had the opertunity to try some of the hasbean espresso roast with robusta, and have to say that I have been convinced otherwise. The only other bean I could get hold of to test it against was Illy :evil: because the wife liked the can, and it got blown away. So now I feel my self erring toward everything in moderation, apart from the coffee which may not be aroound that long :D
quink

Postby phil » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:34 pm

Yes well I should darn well hope that Hasbean's espresso would blow illy away. Anything from a good microroaster should do that, and we all know that Hasbean is good! :D
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby quink » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:20 pm

Can't really say I was surprised by the result. Had to nip home on my lunch break (just got back, i'm busy :lol: ) and found my self running of 4 shots, just couldnt stop myself. Drove like a bat out of hell on the way back as ten yards down the road I got a desperate urge for the loo. Oh well should be awake for the afternoon now.
quink

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:13 pm

lol pleased it had the desired effect :) (the 4 cups not the peeing)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby mattmills » Thu May 13, 2004 1:02 pm

It is worth noting that there has been a great deal of effort put into the processing of Robusta now, to the extent that there are robustas that are not only the same price as a standard arabica coffee but can be more expensive. As well as tasting a darn sight better than poorly processed arabicas.

Sunnyfield is spot on, a decent Washed robusta can be a brilliant filler coffee for an espresso, giving added body and a bit of extra bite. With some of the washed robustas, they also posess either a balenced chocolaty taste or a smooth vanilla taste which can also give a blend and added balence.
mattmills

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping