Crema and coconut creme

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Crema and coconut creme

Postby fiend » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:51 am

This morning I had what I think is the best espresso shot I have made since returning to New Zealand. The beans were wild grown Bonga Forest beans roasted to about 15 seconds into the second crack the day before yesterday.

I slightly overfilled the filter basket with around 15.1g of coffee ground at the fifth notch from the arrow on the grinder. At first I wasn't sure if I had filled the group properly and did a quick second raise, which is usually a very marginal technique, but one that I fortunately got away with. During the pull, the stream of coffee formed a thick tail that bubbled, hooked and swung as it came down, with a very promising viscosity. The tiger striping alternated between a dark brown, and a brownish terracotta.

In the cup it took around a minute for the crema to settle to a steady state and form a head. It had a silky texture, and the firm persistance of a slightly warmed marshmellow. The flavour was pure and rich, with the mellow, vanilla sweetness that makes this bean one of my favourites, without even the slightest hint of bitterness. There was a deep, rich, chocolate-type flavour that was consistent right through to the aftertaste.

Clearly there was no question of brushing my teeth after a coffee like that, and even by the time I got to the viaduct there was a pleasant remnant of the aftertaste.

Having overindulged a little with the cookie jar at work, I've decided to cut back on my consumption. However I had to delay lunch today, and a couple of chocolate covered coconut creme biscuits seemed to be a good way to bridge the gap. They also seemed a good idea for the gap between lunch and afternoon tea, but I can't imagine there will be much justification for them later in the day.
Hot air gun roaster, Mazzer Mini E, La Pavoni Europiccola, Aeropress
http://lapavoni.info/
http://otherwiseitwouldbequiet.blogspot.com/
fiend

Postby zapty » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:42 am

Reading this my mouth is watering, quick, I need a double espresso...
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby BazBean » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:12 am

Make that 2........

i actually can taste espresso while i read...... how weird is that ?
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Joris » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:56 pm

a double to go please ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping