Gene Cafe First Roast

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:22 am

That's interesting. Keep us informed as you try more roasts as it's very helpful.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Beanie » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:31 am

BazBean wrote:Nicey Cakey....
but i about time you upgraded that de- chaffing colinder... its over 3 weeks old now isnt it ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Actually, isn't L'Anna also at least 2.5 months old now too? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm quite interested in the Gene actually - especially against the Hottop. More specifically, on the "temp adjustability" of the Gene - that's the biggest thing missing for me on the Hottop. I wish I could have better control on playing with temps rather than with just volumes, drop times, moving the chute cover, etc.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:43 pm

There are definately very different flavours from the same beans when roasted in the Gene vs the IMEX. Yes Baz and Beany, all of my kit is rather ancient now but I take solace from it still being somewhat younger than George :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:51 pm

CakeBoy wrote:There are definately very different flavours from the same beans when roasted in the Gene vs the IMEX....

Careful, careful, NutCakes... you're on your way to "defiantly" ;) :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Paul L » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:33 am

Can I also assume that there is more evenness in the roast than you can get from an IMEX or an iRoast?

The idea of less brittle and more moisture was the comment that caught my attention in particular though.
Paul L

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:55 am

Paul L wrote:Can I also assume that there is more evenness in the roast than you can get from an IMEX or an iRoast?

The idea of less brittle and more moisture was the comment that caught my attention in particular though.

Much more in my opinion, and a deeper colour too. The retained mosture content is much greater in the Gene, and although I have no scientific way of proving that theory, just eating the freshly roasted beans is a clear indicator.

Blasting something with hot air in order to roast it in less than 10 minutes is bound to extract more moisture than a slower (75% longer) roast on a more gentle heat. Same principle as a Sunday joint basically.

I will try to organise some side by side roasts shortly - hopefully with Matt, so that we can both comment on the results rather than me just waffle alone :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:32 am

Whilst I agree with most of Mark's comments, I would not necessarily place the I-R in the same category as the Imex, and would like to point out that in some respects the Gene is still a hot air roaster (if not a fluid bed). So, we're really talking varying degrees here between a more indirect, radiated convection and direct convection by hot air, particularly as sample sizes come into play.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:33 pm

Comparing a 110g Sitio roast in 9.5 mins from the IMEX with a 250g roast of the same in 17 mins at 240C in the Gene, I have noticed the following:

1. Both are even in colour (Sitio roasts evenly anyway), but the Gene has a far greater depth of colour having passed through the nutty brown to deep brown stages slowly during the roast vs the IMEX dark brown without the same depth.

2. The Gene is less brittle and when eaten directly from the roast, offers more flavours and a greater depth of profile beyond the main taste components.

3. The resulting espresso has a much fuller profile, thus producing a bigger coffee with much darker crema, balance and mouthfeel.

4. I love the Gene Cafe, Steve and the nice people in far off lands that made my new toy.

5. Considering Steve's recent post in which he noted 10 minutes as about the shortest period of roasting that can begin to develop a profile, the above is of no surprise. Even my Mum can taste the difference in the cup between the two roaster types with the same beans, though her palate is becoming quite developed to be fair to her.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:35 pm

:drink: 8) You must be on Cloud 9 in 7th Heaven :lol:
Beanie

Postby espressomattic » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:11 pm

SHould be interesting doing a 'Roast off' to compare

BTW, excuse my ignorance but what would a Whirley be classed as?

Matt
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:35 pm

A classic radiated convection I would have thought. Good question though. Steve?

Either way, we can have all three roasters side by side :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:49 pm

Dedicated that’s what a whirly is classed as.

My guess would be cakeys guess Radiant heat source.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:13 am

CakeBoy wrote:A classic radiated convection I would have thought. Good question though. Steve?

Either way, we can have all three roasters side by side :P

Heck we'll get the Wok out for good measure, then the oven, I'll ask steve to send down that little old Probat of his and I think that should just about do us!!!!! :shock:

BTW I feel happy knowing that I am in possession of a dedicated Radiated Convector.... :P
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:02 am

espressomattic wrote:I feel happy knowing that I am in possession of a dedicated Radiated Convector.... :P

I'm just glad you didn't break it! :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:34 am

Oh you just had to bring that old chestnut didn't ya!!!! :cry:

Just remind me not to put the Gene on the Stove or the Imex in the Oven :shock: :lol: First crack would be REALLY interesting
:twisted:
espressomattic

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping