Simon Levelt

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Simon Levelt

Postby chemistone » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:19 pm

Yes, I should know better, but recently I bought some coffee at Simon Levelt. After having a really not nice discussion about robusta for espresso and the way they store their beans.
I've ask if they had beans in valve bags, for optimum freshness (at least for old beans). No they didn't sell their beans in bags, but they had a special designed (big) glass and metal storage thing where the beans are sold from.
And that was much better than any bag in the world. Well I prevent a valve bag over an open storage thing due to the oxidation of the beans.
Furthermore he wanted to sell me espresso with over 30% robusta and I told him that I liked the Arabica beans better for espresso. I know they mix some Robusta for better crema and taste and I don't have any problems with it, but that is at most 5 %.
I ended up buying two times 250 grams of coffee, since all the coffee shops in the area were closed (went there on a Monday).
The first blend I didn't like, it was a bit too acidic for me.
The second blend is not too bad, but not good either, no really specific taste.
So do yourself a favour and try other shops for buying coffee.
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby Joris » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:50 am

I agree that the way they store their beans is not ehm, well lets say "top notch", apart from that, the quantity they usually have in store is so much that I seriously doubt they can sell it all in a week or so, ending up with stale beans imho. Haven't bought coffee there for ages but now and then I get some from people who visit me and think... well, he's a coffee-geek so let's give hime some nice coffee ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby ivdp » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:37 am

It is so easy to comment and make statements about coffee bought in shops.
But we all do know that coffee bought in (most) shops is not up to "our" standards.
And they can't be in view of freshness and blends. So why complain about them?
Roast your own or go were you know that the coffee is fresh.

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby chemistone » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:02 pm

Ivo,

First of all, you are right. The problem that I have with SL is that they claim it is all fresh, but it isn't. The problem is that roasting my own beans will introduce some wife issues. She things that I’m already making a mess of her kitchen and that roasting beans doesn't help. Maybe I should go to Lieren and take her with me, maybe you can convince her.... ;)
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby ivdp » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:22 am

You are very welcome.

I'll try to avoid any convincing talking.

Once you see and try fresh beans your are sold or not. Talking doesn't help . . .

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping