Norwegian WBC espresso blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Norwegian WBC espresso blend

Postby Olings » Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 am

I thought I'd share with you the components and my experience of tasting the Norwegian espresso blend used in WBC. I'm bit unsure of wether or not to do this, though.

The roaster was kind enough to tell an espresso-nerd like me this, but is it wrong of me to pass it on? Is it like a trade secret perhaps?

What would you feel, Steve, if someone did this with your WBC blend? I want to do the right thing, but would love to share with you guys.

It's no great big secret, but I'm thinking one should share info that others might find interesting.

Comments?

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue May 23, 2006 7:49 am

Ola, I would get permission from the Roaster.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby CakeBoy » Tue May 23, 2006 9:59 am

Yup I would too. That is the easy and safe way around it. If you are not able to tell, you could just send everyone on TMC a sample instead! :wink: :lol:
Last edited by CakeBoy on Wed May 24, 2006 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Tue May 23, 2006 10:32 am

Definetly get permission from the roaster and the Barista as these things can be closely gaurded secrects. Mind you Cakeys idea about sending everyone here a sample is tops...put me on the list please!! :D
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Tue May 23, 2006 11:50 am

I know that jim likes to share his blenmd and for me its fine, no one will get the exact profile or stle of roast as me anyway (they will proberebly do a better job :) ) So if the roaster says yes then I'd go for it. It may also be good to ask the Barista
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Tue May 23, 2006 12:27 pm

Steve wrote: no one will get the exact profile or stle of roast as me anyway (they will proberebly do a better job :) )

No need to tell everyone I am better than you Steve, but the truth must come out someday I guess. Still you have learnt all I can teach you and it is time you went out now with out my help!!!! ;)
espressomattic

Postby kingseven » Tue May 23, 2006 12:35 pm

Steve - if you want to post up what is in my blend (%s included) then please do so. You did an awesome job with it and I thank you!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Olings » Tue May 23, 2006 3:45 pm

Turns out it's not the blend used by the Norwegian barista, it was the one used by the Swedish barista who came in fourth place.

I've decided against posting what was in the blend, suffice to say that it only had three components. It had a nice acidity, and was slightly more "delicate" than the one I usually drink (my cupping vocabulary is obviously not the most advanced). If you'd drink it in a milk-based coffee it would have to be whole milk as any milk with lower fat, in my opinion, would make it to thin. This is also normally the case for me, but even more so with this blend.

I didn't have the opportunity to talk to the barista/roaster about it today (very busy in the coffeebar when I was there), but he's roasting another batch tomorrow which I'm going to try out on friday. Maybe I'll ask for permission to post about it then. It'll be nice to have a few more tastings of it as well to get a more comprehensive feeling of it.

As for sending samples around: I'm way to cheap. :twisted: But if someone in TMC really want to taste it, I could always help out getting a hold of a batch and send it and do the money-dealing with you. Just be warned that Norway never has been the country in the world for the low-budget person (prices are high).

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby zapty » Tue May 23, 2006 3:51 pm

Yes, in Norway prices are high but so are wages earned. I have been there on customer visits before (Oslo) and consider it a great country and a fine city with lots of fun places to wine and dine.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby monkey66 » Tue May 23, 2006 4:00 pm

Steve....is that the greenlight from Jim for a TMC WBC blend .....please, please pretty please :)
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby Olings » Tue May 23, 2006 5:32 pm

Kind words Zapty. I also think it's a great place to live. I was only trying to warn people that the price of coffee might be slightly higher than what they're used to. I believe Oslo is one of the best cities in Europe for espresso-lovers even though things are shaping up throughout our little corner of the world.

Ola
Olings

Postby zapty » Tue May 23, 2006 5:47 pm

Right you are Ola, the prices in Oslo shocked me the first time I went there, luckily I was on a expense account. Even the prices in the tax free shop where more expensive then I would have imagined. By the way, while I was singing the praises of your country (I truly love it, the fjords and mountains and wild places and the beautiful clean and civilised cities) I forgot to mention the Norwegians themselves, once you get to know them and they loosen up a little they are truly fine and warm people that you can count and once you make a friend in Norway it is a friend for life.
The first time I got invited to go fishing at a customers cabin I expected a wilderness experience but it was luxury all the way, motor launches, a sail boat, a beautiful home near the water with all amenities, fridges full of cold beer and food, fine guest rooms, sauna etc.
Had a ball. Norway reminds me of Canada a lot, I get a little homesick now, excuse me...
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Olings » Tue May 23, 2006 6:28 pm

luxury all the way, motor launches, a sail boat, a beautiful home near the water with all amenities, fridges full of cold beer and food, fine guest rooms, sauna etc.

Sounds like my place... 8) (I wish)

Ola
Olings

Postby Fatboy_007 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:33 pm

I'm sorry that I mentioned the TMC WBC blend idea now, however I am hopng to go to Caffe Culture Thursday, so maybe I can apologise to Steve in person, and get Jim to pull me a shot!
| Silvia | Rocky & Zass| Custom Fatboy Reg Barber | Aeropress |
| Beans, Beans, Beans | & Enthusiasm, but no real talent! |
Fatboy_007

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 24, 2006 2:55 am

zapty wrote: Norway reminds me of Canada a lot, I get a little homesick now, excuse me...

Arrrrghhh Zapty, you'll set Beany and I off on missing Canada :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping