When to use the beans?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

When to use the beans?

Postby Steem21 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:02 pm

I took delivery of 2 bags of HB beans today and they were roasted the day before. The bags were slightly bulging with all the gas that has been released. As I've read the degassing period is quite important, and with the speedy delivery, I am assuming the beans would still need time to let out some more gas. So I was wondering what the optimum time to start using these beans would be (they are Brazilian Decaf and Sumatra Lingtong). I've read that some folks let the beans degass for 2-3 days and during that period the flavour does change. I think Steve mentioned in a previous thread that too much CO2 can cause the flavours to be too "bright" or lively. Is it all down to personal taste? Should fruiter beans be used earlier than beans which would not taste so good just roasting? And if so, should there be a guide as to which types of beans should be used when?
La Spaziale Vivaldi II, Mazzer Mini E, Aerobie Aeropress
Steem21

Postby lukas » Tue May 16, 2006 10:16 pm

Just drink that lovely stuff and watch the taste develop over the days! You'll soon get a feel for it. And a plus is the wow-factor when you reach the tip of the flavour-mountain after X days, and the oh-no when you recognize that the beans go stale. Try it!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Steve » Wed May 17, 2006 8:48 am

Its always interesting to taste the brightness, and decide for your self as Lukas suggests. Only by knowing what its like will you find the optimum day for you.

The Brazil decaf will be less effected by the brightness of an early roast but will also hold for longer. I find sumtran's best a few days after roast (say 4-5) but this is just down to what I like.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 17, 2006 11:58 am

Steve's roasts are so far above the masses that you would certainly enjoy them at any point in time, but it is fun to return day after day to see how they change with degassing and maturity. Just have fun and enjoy .... it's alchemy, not science when all is said and done :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby wallisj » Wed May 17, 2006 12:09 pm

I'm normally compelled to wait 5 days due to my schedule but at halifax the other week we tried the brazil 5 mins off roast and it was superb
Not lively at all ... was amazing really.... not idea why
wallisj

Postby espressomattic » Wed May 17, 2006 12:14 pm

Just from my experience Lintong is fine a day or so after the roast, but the tastes changes over 4-5 days as Steve states. It becomes quite a mellow, rich cup. Like Cakey said it is also fun to see how the tastes develop ovcer the peroid of a few days, that way you can find out what you like the best.

Personally I like to try mine straight after the roast and rarely give them a chance to de-gass as after 3-4 days they are gone!!!!

By the way, Steve, the blend you knoecked up for me, or rather Sarah, is great... a bugger to roast though, 1st Crack at 10 min and 2nd at about 13 mins. Decanted after about 5-10 secs into 2nd. Surpisingly it was reasonaby balanced and the Kalosi together with the robusta gives a nice little boost. The Harra seems to clam it down and give it a lovely fruit background. I think this will definetly improve over the next couple of days....Cakey, yours is in the post tomorrow mate.

Matt
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Cor ta :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby RobC » Wed May 17, 2006 9:26 pm

Second WallisJ on that Brazil, it was surprisingly smooth for both a SO and fresh roasted. In fact trying fresh roasted coffee (both on the day and brought along by other members) really brought home to me the fact that it is not just the brewing equipment or grinding equipment, but the coffee you use with it. You are so much better getting the coffee spot on first, and then upgrading the brewer and grinder when possible. I have been so converted to roasting since seeing and experiencing it first hand, my plan is to start fresh roasted and work back each day to see what works for each origin. It quickly becomes easy to see though, why Steve is worth his weight in coffee gold - if you can't roast you can get the next best direct to the door, and if you have a roaster you can get greens with the best guide as to how long to rest them.

I just want to learn from scratch, and take the rough with the smooth!
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby espressomattic » Wed May 17, 2006 9:27 pm

Welcoome to the club dear boy :D
espressomattic

Postby Gouezeri » Wed May 17, 2006 10:35 pm

RobC wrote:why Steve is worth his weight in coffee gold

Would that be Gold Blend? :twisted:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Wed May 17, 2006 10:41 pm

whats gold blend then Dom enlighten us ?
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Wed May 17, 2006 10:44 pm

Made by those well known advocates of fair trade, donchaknow! :roll: :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping