An amazing surprise...

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

An amazing surprise...

Postby espressomattic » Tue May 16, 2006 8:05 am

Had a pleasent surprise today...I tried some Union Coffee, a Rawandan Bourbon. OK so it goes against every principle I now have as it it is bought from a Supermarket and unfortunatly it was pre-ground...however I tried it in the Press Pot and I have to say that it is very, very good.

It has all the characteristics of a good African Coffee, balanced Acidity, CItrus and heaps of Milk CHocolate. I have tasted Dark chocolate before but this was the first time I have ever encountered Milk Chocolate. It was a very smooth drink and whilst not tasting quite as fresh as home roasted or roast to order, it was superb.

If anyone is ever stuck and needs a stop gap, give it a go, I will be scouring for their unground beans and will keep some of those around for 'just in case'....

As an asie I e-mailed them with some questions about roast times etc and got a top reply back. They stated that they know Beans are best, but most of the public don't posess a grinder, which is a fair point. They answered all my questions and were quite helpful. :)
espressomattic

Postby kingseven » Tue May 16, 2006 9:16 am

This coffee is a great SO shot, loads of sweetness and fruit. There are going to be more and more exciting coffees coming out of Rwanda, lots of excellent Bourbons.

Good work Union on having a good relationship established for a while now as well as producing an ace coffee.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby zapty » Tue May 16, 2006 9:19 am

Even the supermarkets are shaping up, good job..
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Steve » Tue May 16, 2006 9:32 am

Union are good guys with good ethics and good coffee.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Tue May 16, 2006 9:38 am

However I will be standing at the back of their Fair Trade talk at Caffe Culture asking difficult questions.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Tue May 16, 2006 10:00 am

i don't get their fairtrade stance, when they have such great origin relationships. Seems close but not quite there.

steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Tue May 16, 2006 11:12 am

I wondered about that too Steve when I perused their web site...It would be really good for them to promote a 'Full' relationship coffee seeing as they are getting a lot of exposure in SUpermarkets now.
espressomattic

Postby Davec » Tue May 16, 2006 2:13 pm

kingseven wrote:However I will be standing at the back of their Fair Trade talk at Caffe Culture asking difficult questions.

If I could get a decent picture of you I would have an appropriate animation lined up (ive been trying to find one on your blogs).

You fair trade heckler.....how can you threaten the profits of those large commercial interests by questioning fair trade :shock: :oops: :wink:
Davec

Postby Steve » Tue May 16, 2006 7:59 pm

Hey my stand backs on to the fairtrade guys. How long till I get bored and start throwing things at them over the wall, and start shouts things at the top of my voice at them about real fair trade :) Playground fight :)
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping