advice on green beans...

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sat May 20, 2006 9:14 pm

I thought about logging roast but gave it up as a good idea doomed to fail. I just go by gut instinct. I know my method is way different to what you guys do. I rely on Smell to tell me where the beans are at, sound obviously and also when cranking you can actually feel when the beans are expanding. Having tried to roast a lot of different beans I have a good mental map of each one now and know what to look/feel/smell for. It may seem unscientific to some, but it works for me. It would be impossible to log my heat/temp as I am fiddling withthe gas knob all the time (Which is tricky when one hand is cranking, one holding the handle...I do it with my knees). Any way is this actually relevant to what this thread is about...sorry if it isn't. :)

Matt
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sat May 20, 2006 10:57 pm

Hand Crank Contortionist Boy wrote:I rely on Smell to tell me where the beans are at, sound obviously and also when cranking you can actually feel when the beans are expanding.

Never heard them called that before Breako, and that is quite an admission on your part in a public forum :shock: :wink:

And then he exclaimed .....
I am fiddling with the gas knob all the time (Which is tricky when one hand is cranking, one holding the handle...I do it with my knees).
Matt

Oooooeeerrrrr Matron :roll: :P :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sun May 21, 2006 5:09 am

Dirty Minded Fairy Cake wrote:
Hand Crank Contortionist Boy wrote:I rely on Smell to tell me where the beans are at, sound obviously and also when cranking you can actually feel when the beans are expanding.

Never heard them called that before Breako, and that is quite an admission on your part in a public forum :shock: :wink:

And then he exclaimed .....
I am fiddling with the gas knob all the time (Which is tricky when one hand is cranking, one holding the handle...I do it with my knees).
Matt

Oooooeeerrrrr Matron :roll: :P :lol:

ROFLMAO

Quite frankly I don't know why I talk to people with such filthy minds... :shock: :lol: To be monest I don't know what you are insinuating!!!! :? :wink:
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sun May 21, 2006 5:43 pm

No need to get "cranky" now :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby tisri » Wed May 24, 2006 1:07 pm

I note details of each roast I do so I can see trends - when my first element developed a fault I noticed that the time to first crack was consistent but time to second crack gradually increased over a few months.

I tend not to roast when known power hogs are running (washing machine, oven, tumble drier, kettle etc) unless I'm wanting a light roast. It's not entirely unknown, allegedly ;-)
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Joris » Wed May 24, 2006 1:38 pm

tisri wrote:I tend not to roast when known power hogs are running (washing machine, oven, tumble drier, kettle etc)

mmm... I think I should try switching off my espresso machine whilst roasting as well then... if it's heating it takes around 2550 :shock:
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby espressomattic » Wed May 24, 2006 11:00 pm

tisri wrote: unless I'm wanting a light roast.

*FAINTS*
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Sun May 28, 2006 11:01 am

unless I'm wanting a light roast.

Also faints
Steve
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping