Matthew Algies TIKKI Blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Matthew Algies TIKKI Blend

Postby espressomattic » Wed May 10, 2006 8:22 am

Bought this blend from my local cafe today, 10 days old from roasting. Not a bad blend, however it has totally turned me to being an SO man. For me there was/is too much going on in the cup.

The beans come from Honduras, Ethiopia, Peru, Indonesia and Gautamala. I think in trying to acheive a top blend, they have just put too much in and it feels overcomplicated. Nice to drink though, please don't get me wrong, but it has emphasised the simplicity of the SO and the true value of it.

Again it goes back to the age old argument really...all down to personal taste.

Matt
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 10, 2006 8:57 pm

Sounds tasty Matt. Did you have a cup there in the cafe or actually buy beans to take away?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Wed May 10, 2006 9:30 pm

Bought them as a standby for the next couple of weeks...I usually have them in an americano there. I have the grinder down the furthest it will go because they are very dark roasted, it's like powder!!!!!
espressomattic

Postby RobC » Wed May 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Don't get me started. Back to basics for me, one SO at a time. And then start to try and blend them to produce a new taste. I wish I had converted to roasting a long time before now.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Gouezeri » Wed May 10, 2006 11:46 pm

I know what you mean Rob... but to me it feels as though it is a cycle... I seem to switch from one to the other at regular intervals... which is why Steve's work aiming for nirvana is a worthwhile enterprise (for me)... kinda like re-reading a book, or seeing a movie... each time brings something new... I enjoy going back to blends as I appreciate the balance and the craftmanship more at more, being able to appreciate and distinguish the individual parts and their interrelation. SOs are definitely a rite of passage though!
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping