Yemen blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Yemen blend

Postby simonp » Thu May 04, 2006 11:12 pm

After seing quite a few posts about Yemen coffees recently I thought I'd post about a blend with Yemen I've been using for espresso recently.

I blended 50% Brazil Cachoera, 25% Sumatran Mandheling, 25% Yemen Mokha Ismaili.. This makes a very smooth, but tasty espresso, with lots of very dark chocolate, with a hint of winey fruit.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Fri May 05, 2006 1:14 am

Sounds lovely Simon.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby blackice » Fri May 05, 2006 4:55 pm

and another one:

50% Brazil Monte Alegre + 25% Uganda Bugisu + 25% Guatemala Antigua or Yemen Moka
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby Beanie » Fri May 05, 2006 6:46 pm

No Mandheling, but I've got Lintong. Have the Ismaili but enjoying the Bany Matar right now. Wishing I'd roasted the Cach now too reading your post :roll: This Yemeni is rather soft compared to other ones I've tried - sweet even. Very very very sweet dark berry - not blueberry, not strawberry, not raspberry, not gooseberry, not cranberry not really blackberry either but sort of. Ohhhh.. I think I've figured it... like a really sweet dark fully ripe black Bing cherry!!! :D :D :D

The Lintong surprised me - very very dirty, wet soil aroma from the beans. First time smelling this for me. I finally understand the dirty/earthy thing :roll: :) Anyway, I enjoyed a 60 Yemeni - 40 Sumatra capp today.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby simonp » Sun May 07, 2006 11:33 pm

Yep, the Ismali is very nice, I wish I had more!
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby ivdp » Mon May 08, 2006 9:34 am

Bean_Believer wrote:No Mandheling, but I've got Lintong. Have the Ismaili but enjoying the Bany Matar right now. Wishing I'd roasted the Cach now too reading your post :roll: This Yemeni is rather soft compared to other ones I've tried - sweet even. Very very very sweet dark berry - not blueberry, not strawberry, not raspberry, not gooseberry, not cranberry not really blackberry either but sort of. Ohhhh.. I think I've figured it... like a really sweet dark fully ripe black Bing cherry!!! :D :D :D

The Lintong surprised me - very very dirty, wet soil aroma from the beans. First time smelling this for me. I finally understand the dirty/earthy thing :roll: :) Anyway, I enjoyed a 60 Yemeni - 40 Sumatra capp today.

A Lintong should not be dirty, and certainly not very dirty.
Earthy possibly, but a well prepared Lintong Grade 1 is above all a clean coffee without defective notes.
Dirty is a defective note.

Ivo
ivdp

Postby Steve » Mon May 08, 2006 9:39 am

I think Beany's describeing the aroma more than the taste and thats not a defect, but a common feature of Sumatra. I do think some people get dirty and earthy mixed up though and I know what you mean Ivo
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Tue May 09, 2006 12:28 am

:oops: sorry for muddying :P up the descriptions :oops: I associate wet soil or earth with being dirty so naturally transferred that thought onto the coffee :( And yes, I did mean strictly in the aroma of the beans only and definitely did not get an off or displeasing taste from the drink. I've not "knowingly" tasted any coffees with defects since my coffee adventure so I'm now intrigued by what a "defect" tastes like. Would it make me want to immediately spit it out... like the supermarket quality stuff Steve puts for comparison purposes during cuppings?

Of course, now I'm wondering what the differences btwn a "dirty" and "earthy" aroma.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Steve » Tue May 09, 2006 8:00 am

When you get defect you wish you hadn't. My first experience of Phenolic was wow wasn’t expecting it to be that in the face. When you get it you just know even if you have no knowledge. Same with dirty coffee. Dirty coffee just isn’t right (great explanation I know), where earthy sits comfortably with the coffee's make up.

To be honest though there shouldn’t be any defected coffee in the speciality market, and little in the commercial grade world.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Tue May 09, 2006 3:49 pm

Thanks Steve... so would you say getting a defect is as obvious as sour milk? I'm still not getting the "dirty" thing though :( But I'm comfortable with "classifying" what I smelled in the Lintong beans as earthy... as it reminded me of wet soil :)
Beanie

Postby Steve » Tue May 09, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks Steve... so would you say getting a defect is as obvious as sour milk?

I like it, yes that obvious

But I'm comfortable with "classifying" what I smelled in the Lintong beans as earthy... as it reminded me of wet soil Smile

Thats fine and keep useing that. Dirty will punch you on the nose when it happens.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Wed May 10, 2006 8:17 am

*OUCH*

Earthy is one of my favourite tastes and I love to taste it in a blend/SO as IMO it gives a solid base for other flavours, something of a platform. I find citrus/earthy work quite well and in the La Manuela you seem to get both especially when they are roasted a little on the dark side. But then when you go darker you get the Roast Flavours coming through I guess, which I think, again IMO, enhances the earthyness of a bean such as Lintong/Kalosi.

Anyway back to those who know better!!! :)
espressomattic

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping