Roasting Ethiopian mocha djima

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roasting Ethiopian mocha djima

Postby GeorgeW » Tue May 02, 2006 12:59 pm

I had my second go at roasting this bean using my Imex. Last time I'm afraid I overdid it with too a long roasting time and to be fair this bean is a bit tricky in that I found it difficult to hear the cracks even when using my super-duper stethoscope.
This time I believe I cracked it , if you know what I mean.
I gave it an overall roasting time of 12 mins with first crack heard at 8 1/2 mins and second (I think) about 3 mins later.
It's very difficult to judge by colour as the bean remains a relatively light shade with no trace of a shiny appearance or oil even after 12 mins.
After leaving it overnight I tasted it as an espresso this lunchtime. Really good with a strange flavour somewhat like a Monsooned, and again velvety with a good crema.
So, another one to add my favourites I think.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Steve » Tue May 02, 2006 1:25 pm

I find a lot of djima tends to have low moisture content and roasts very quickly past first, its a tough bean to get right so well done George.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Tue May 02, 2006 3:34 pm

You are very brave George - and the undisputed King of the IMEX :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Tue May 02, 2006 3:56 pm

CakeBoy wrote:You are very brave George - and the undisputed King of the IMEX :P

This is of course true...BUT..the Gene does look nice and I'm tempted.

These brave forays into the unknown are soley for your benefit Cakey. I am by nature totally altruistic and would be content with drinking Old Java for the rest of my life were it not for my duty to others. So you really should take full advantage.:wink:

How is the roasting going anyway?
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Tue May 02, 2006 7:28 pm

GeorgeW wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:You are very brave George - and the undisputed King of the IMEX :P

This is of course true...BUT..the Gene does look nice and I'm tempted.

These brave forays into the unknown are soley for your benefit Cakey. I am by nature totally altruistic and would be content with drinking Old Java for the rest of my life were it not for my duty to others. So you really should take full advantage.:wink:

How is the roasting going anyway?

You will be mentioned in dispatches for your bravery and work on behalf of others :D .

The roasting is going very well thanks George. It is good fun and very relaxing. The IMEX is a nice wee beastie with a few quirks, but being less brave than you, I stick to "easy" roast coffees like Manuela and Sitio.

Just like you, I have my eye on a Gene Cafe. The benefits of temperature control and longer roasting would open up all sorts of possibilities in terms of coffees that I would just not try to roast over around 10 mins at full pelt. That said, I think the IMEX is a top experience and can only help me learn regardless of what eventually comes along ....... Gene, Gene, Gene, Gene :shock: . It's not shiney, but go on George, you know you want to :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby CK » Sun May 14, 2006 12:10 am

Being a dry processed coffee Djimmah does roast fast and maybe a touch uneven.. It has sensational crema and what i love about it is the chocolate it brings to an espresso blend.
Its a great coffee to use to fill in gaps in a blend.
It just seems to get in there and even in smaller amounts just plugs those holes.
Very underated .
CK

Postby Steve » Sun May 14, 2006 10:10 am

I agree CK it comes into its own in a blend, not a great SO shot at all, but brings a wildness to the blend party.
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping