Filter coffee and foam

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Filter coffee and foam

Postby bogner » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:10 am

Hello all,

maybe it's a stupid question - but where else to ask if I want answers? :D

as some of you know I'm quite a newbie to this coffee thing, and roast my beans in the oven (trying out poppers too now ..) and use a MoccaMaster for my coffee .. well, my question is this:

when brewing I gently stir the beans to make sure that the water gets into every corner of the ground coffee - and on my Costa Rica beans I get a rich thick foam (some sort of crema?), and on my Monsooned Malabar beans I get nothing?! shouldn't the latter foam like the first? :?

not that it's something I lay awake at night pondering over, but it just popped up that I had to know - maybe the malabars are old beans, that's what I really want to know ..

so far I've only got these two different beans which I roasted myself - but I've got more on the way from Hasbean .. trying out different regions is my current direction in my coffee journey ..
bogner

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:03 am

The foam is called bloom and (correct me if I'm wqrong here as I'm shooting from the hip) that is a way the co2 presents itself in fresh coffee, and not a desirable thing as it doesnt really add anything to the cup

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby zapty » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:52 pm

You can say that again, try having a massive bloom in your Cona vac pot !!?!!?
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:28 pm

I'm tasteing it right now :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby bogner » Mon May 01, 2006 9:01 am

hmm, so it's mainly a good thing because it's an indicator that the coffee is fresh? but it's also something I should try to avoid?
bogner

Postby Steve » Mon May 01, 2006 3:52 pm

I prefer to not have it I must admit and I prefer to let the coffee rest but sometimes you just have to. Avoid is possible but its not gonna hurt
Steve
Founder Member

Postby zapty » Mon May 01, 2006 4:07 pm

It does not matter for the taste but is a great inconvenience when using a vac pot or balance brewer as the bloom sometimes makes the vessel overflow, creating a mess.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping