Another blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Another blend

Postby zapty » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:40 am

Just finished roasting a couple blends:

First blend:

Preroast blended 250 grams Kena Kona with 125 grams Mocca Harrar and 125 grams Rukira Peaberry single estate blend.
Roasted in the old Nestor martin gas fired roaster, 1st crack (full) at
12,5 minutes, 2nd crack(full) at 16 min, dumped and cooled.
Nice and even roast, smells delicious already

Second blend:

Preroast blended 250 grams Daterra Reserve (gift from Beanybabe) with 250 grams Rukira. 1st (full) crack at 12 minutes, 2nd (full) crack at 15 minutes. Dumped and cooled.
Nice and even roast also roasted in the old antique Nestor Martin 500 gram batch gas fired roaster.
zapty

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:21 pm

16 and 15 minutes, I wish I could roast this long. So how did they taste?
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:23 pm

Sounds great Zapty - ditto Quentin's sentiments over length of profile.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:32 pm

cumberpach wrote:16 and 15 minutes, I wish I could roast this long. So how did they taste?
QC

and 500g in one go? ;)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby zapty » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:39 am

The taste was just wonderful and the smell also, the first blend was the best really, lots of depth, color, crema very nice.
I have got the old antique ToTo (Nestor Martin down) roaster all figured out now (only had one batch catch on fire in the early days and that was when my better half was turning the drum way to slowly) so i can drag out the roasting time and produce very evenly roasted beans.
Yes, the old beast does 500 grams in one shot and I have even done 600 grams for a test and they turned out fine to.
Great old roaster, wish you all had one to play with, it makes roasting fun, easy and not least of all, cheap.
I have added a temp gauge and can monitor that also believe it or not..
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Beanie » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:27 am

Well done, zapty :D That's it... now we'll just HAVE get a lowlands home-roaster/barista session organised ;)

What flavours did you get out of each blend?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:29 pm

Zapty wrote
Roasted in the old Nestor martin gas fired roaster

Re-fresh my memory Zapty, is this bottled gas (caravans/BBQ) or domestic home mains gas?
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby zapty » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:38 am

Some flavours BeanyBabe: chocolate, vanilla, citrus, a hint of blueberry and other fruits, roasted nuts, a bit of malt, pepper, caramel, honey

Cumberpach, the Nestor Martin was used in the old days back when it was a baby on natural domestic mains gas, these days I use it on a propane (BBQ gas cilinder).)
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Beanie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:26 am

Sounds fantastic, zapty!!! :D Sounds like I need to get my hands on some Rurika too :) Looking forward to hearing about your next blend experiment :)
Beanie

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping