Mocha Java blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Joris » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:28 pm

Martina wrote:I know it's madness getting a new roaster - I don't really understand why I'm doing it - but somehow I manage telling myself over and over that life is too short and stuff like that. And it's my birthday on Thursday :-)

Happy B-day then :)

Martina wrote:people keep moaning about the long cooling time etc... But it seems that those who actually have and use the Gene don't think it's too much of a problem.

I don't think the cooling time of the Gene is that long but never the less I stop the coolingcycle as soon as it hits about 200°C, remove the drum and cool the beans further outside the roasting drum.

Cooling after roasting
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:31 pm

How are you using the Gene Joris? Do you roast at full temperature as per Tom (Sweet Maria's) advice until 1c and then reduce the heat? If so, to what sort of heat typically? I appreciate this will vary according to the beans, but I just want to get a feel for it :D

BeanyBadGirl wrote:CakeBoy wrote:
Take no notice of Beany ........ she is 47

I may feel it... but you LOOK it And I mean that as a compliment, I do, really... :D

Yeah right, like a kick in the wotsits :shock: :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Martina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:57 pm

awww come on, spill the beans Heheh... I made the cross over that I'm now closer to 40 than 30

All right then - I'll be 42 on Thursday. I don't feel it, but whether I look it is another story :-)
Rancilio Silvia | Macap M4 | Gene Cafe | I-Roast2 | Eva Solo | French Press
Martina

Postby Martina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:11 pm

Joris wrote:Happy B-day then

Thanks!
Joris wrote:I don't think the cooling time of the Gene is that long but never the less I stop the coolingcycle as soon as it hits about 200°C, remove the drum and cool the beans further outside the roasting drum.

I don't see it as a big problem either (yet), thanks for the info. This roaster got so much positive reviews even with the long cooling time.
Rancilio Silvia | Macap M4 | Gene Cafe | I-Roast2 | Eva Solo | French Press
Martina

Postby Joris » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:40 pm

CakeBoy wrote:How are you using the Gene Joris? Do you roast at full temperature as per Tom (Sweet Maria's) advice until 1c and then reduce the heat? If so, to what sort of heat typically? I appreciate this will vary according to the beans, but I just want to get a feel for it :D

Well I set it at 250°C. At 1c I turn temp a bit down with about 5°C to stretch the period between 1c en 2c a bit. I usually don't bother with timing but listen to and watch the beans instead. I start cooling when I feel the beans are right and then after cooling in the Gene to about 200°C / 220°C (depending on the amount of smoke still coming off the beans) I stop the process and dump the beans in the coller I made. It then takes about 45sec to get them cool to the touch.

Seems to give a better result this way than when you just set it to 250 and let it go.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping