Mocha Java blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Mocha Java blend

Postby Martina » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:02 pm

I’d like to experiment with the so called Mocha/Java blend and hope that some of you have some good tips. I’ve got some Sulawesi Toraja (and PNG) left so I’ll use that and I’ll get some Ethiopian Harar and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.

Would you roast them together or would you blend after roasting? I reckon that the Sulawesi could/should be roasted darker then the Ethiopian, so perhaps roasting them separately makes more sense. But on Sweetmarias page on blending it says: "Harar 50% Sulawesi 50% brought to a City Roast" which might suggest that roasting the whole lot in one go to City Roast is the way to do it.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Martina
Rancilio Silvia | Macap M4 | Gene Cafe | I-Roast2 | Eva Solo | French Press
Martina

Postby BazBean » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:07 pm

Personnaly... and i no great roaster but, i would do seperate as times to get to full city may differ greatly for each bean
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Martina » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:12 pm

That's a good point!
Thanks.
Martina

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:05 pm

Sulawesi's tend to be real heat sink coffee's so I'm with Barry on seperate roasting.

Mocha Java is best for me with some Yemen and a brighter indo like well a java, but the combo sounds very interesting.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:16 pm

Hmm...after my experiment this week, I would go for pre roasting each, that way I guess you bring each bean to it's fullest within the roast range best suited for it.

I agree with Steve, it is a BIG beans compared to Yirg, therefore you'd end up burning one...IMHO :)

Matt
espressomattic

Postby Martina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks - I'll think that makes a lot of sense, will roast them separately. The combo is a poor man's mocha/java :-), based on what's left in the box and what I would buy anyways. I plan to place an order on the Gene Cafe by Thursday - so it will be a poor man's blend for some time to come :-) - and can't wait to try and roast this blend in it.
Martina

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:44 am

Martina wrote:I plan to place an order on the Gene Cafe by Thursday

Arrrrgggghhhhhh, torture us all Martina, drool. I watched that damned video of Thompson's because of you, now I must squirm as you regale us of wonderful Gene roasting stories :( :wink: :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Martina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:32 pm

Lol - if you like I'll only post negative posts on the Gene and how much I regret getting it :-)
I know it's madness getting a new roaster - I don't really understand why I'm doing it - but somehow I manage telling myself over and over that life is too short and stuff like that. And it's my birthday on Thursday :-)
The video is really good - but there is a lot of negative talk about the Gene on coffeegeek forum (I suppose because the Gene hit Europe first and that's enough to make it look "suspicious") - people keep moaning about the long cooling time etc... But it seems that those who actually have and use the Gene don't think it's too much of a problem.
Martina

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:47 pm

The Gene has excellent reviews in general. Steve and Tom would not both recommend it if it was poor. You get one and have fun. Roasting has a spiritual feel to it that yields something you can enjoy. Have a great birthday and please post pictures of your roasts. I think you will love both it and the even roasting it produces :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Martina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:56 pm

Thanks - I don't put too much into coffeegeek negativism either:-)
I promise to get some pictures - after I get over the worst stage (waiting, waiting and even more waiting). You're right about roasting being close to spiritual - it's got this amazing calming effect (unless you somehow burn the whole batch).
Martina

Postby Beanie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:59 pm

Excellent b'day gift choice to self, Martina ;) Now why wasn't I as smart yesterday? ;) So much for older.. wiser... in my case at least :P

So, what's the magical number next Thursday, Martina?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Martina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:35 pm

You know what - it's all your fault:-)
I kept reading your post on how much I need it and how Gene's calling for me and that's why I'm going to order it :-)
About the number - all I can say is that it lost its magic long time ago :-)
Martina

Postby Beanie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:51 pm

:twisted: the magic will return once you have the Gene situated with pride of place in your home :twisted: It's that zen, calming serenity that will erase yet another wrinkle ;)

awww come on, spill the beans :shock: :P Heheh... I made the cross over that I'm now closer to 40 than 30 :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Take no notice of Beany ........ she is 47 :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:58 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Take no notice of Beany ........ she is 47 :wink:

I may feel it... but you LOOK it :P And I mean that as a compliment, I do, really... :)
Beanie

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping