my new beans

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

my new beans

Postby mnemonix » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:32 pm

It's official, Harar is my new favourite coffee ! I've previously been enjoying Yemen a lot, but I wanted to try an Ethiopian Harar. It's quite similar in a way, slightly wild and variable cups, but not as dry as the Yemen I've had, with a rich fruitiness... is that the blueberry everyone talks about ?

Kenyan Thunguri, a very different Kenyan to the blackberry ones I've had recently (and love), the acidity is less dark toned and sweeter, supposedly ripe fruit and oranges, though I've not had the chance to taste it after resting as it was soon blagged by a mate who's getting a taste for my coffee ! I'll have to roast some more for 'testing' at the weekend.

I have some Costa Rican La Minita Tarrazu and Sumatra Iskandar triple pick to work my way through too.

Chris.
mnemonix

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:51 am

I've never been a big fan of Harar, but never really had a good cupping with it. But then Yemen isnt my favotie either (brings back memories of a stack fire due to the same beans they set alight my ambex). Kenyans really change with resting so give it a few days, and you will notice lots more things in it.

How about some cupping sheets on these? (you must be proud of me phil asking for these:) ) I'd be interested in seeing more on them
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:15 pm

Yes bless you Steve, although we mustn't lean on Mnemonix too much as he's been absolutely blinding on the article front. He did that excellent article on popper modifications, and I've got another one I'm about half way through laying out which is an absolute cracker. Computer Controlled Roasting!!! Hope to have this up on the site sometime tonight.

Nonetheless, if you've got time Mnemonix, yes please!
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:16 pm

Oh and btw I love Harrar and Yemen. All those wild tastes make them so interesting!

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:44 pm

What about Yirgacheffe? Isn't that Ethiopian too? It tastes almost medicinal to me, vey interesting aroma, but I really like it for cafetiere; definitely more than Harrar. Damn, I was just starting to wind down my greens stash... I want to order some Yirgacheffe now. Help me...!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby HughF » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:04 pm

Sorry, spurious double post (pressed back then refresh looking for unread posts) and I can't delete it (Phil?)... but I edited this to say that I did just order some Yirgacheffe plus some other greens I haven't tried before.

Oops...

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby phil » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:26 pm

No worries Hugh. No, oddly you can't seem to delete even your own posts (unless you're a mod or the administrator). I can always do it for you if you ever want it done though.

So what are "some other greens I haven't tried before"?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:18 pm

I love the Monmouth Yirg (bit like H&V Harrar). The H&V Harrar is very rich and complex, lots of ripe fruits and dark notes. Some say gamey, but I didn't notice that.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping