Monsooned Malabar Coehlo's Gold - WTF?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Monsooned Malabar Coehlo's Gold - WTF?

Postby vinter » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:45 am

Hey gang,

Been roasting regularly at home for around a year now - first with the Iroast and lately with the (lovely) Gene Cafe.

Yesterday, for the first time, I tried some Indian monsooned Malaber Coehlo's Gold from Sweet Marias - and I think I gave them a little too long, maybe half a minute/a minute after second crack. To the verge of them showing oil, but not quite. Anyway, I was stunned by the different (and to me, almost horrible taste)?? Cant really explain it, but they tasted very bad.

So, just this morning, I tried roasting a new batch and made sure to stop just before/around second crack. They are degassing as I write this and I am very exited to taste them tomorrow.

Anyhow, the last thing I should remember telling is that these greens are about 8 months old (long story and two trips across the atlantic to get them here to Denmark from the US)

So what do you reckon:
A) have these beans simply gone bad due to long transport and aging
B) Monsooned Malabar simply tastes very special compared to other beans
C) Monsooned Malabar should NEVER be roasted beyond second crack?
D) I am losing it :wink:

Have a Great Easter all!
Best regards, Mads
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

LM GS3 (former Elektra Semi Automatica), Casadio Instantaneo (Former Mazzer Mini E, former Macap M4 Doserless), Gene Cafe (former I-Roast 1)
vinter

Postby HughF » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:28 pm

A seems unlikely. Never tried MM myself, but my guess would be both B and C. Only you can rule out D though!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby lukas » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:41 pm

B. Definitly B. You can taste Monsooned Malabar (either in an espresso or as a coffee) out of 100 coffees without thinking about (I think ;) ). Do you know how the Monsooned Malaber is processed after the harvest?
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:56 pm

I'm not a fan at all of MG. Just didnt float my boat

Monsoon Malabar is very...... different coffee :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby vinter » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:32 am

Thanks guys - that explains a few things!

:-) Mads
Best regards, Mads
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

LM GS3 (former Elektra Semi Automatica), Casadio Instantaneo (Former Mazzer Mini E, former Macap M4 Doserless), Gene Cafe (former I-Roast 1)
vinter

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping