What are we all currently loving?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:17 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Being pretty new to roasting, I don't know Rukiro or Sidamo beans. What are they like Joris?

I roast the De-caf Cakey and they are really nice....very very fruity to smell, much like THAT Harrar!! They produce a lovely, rich, slightly acidic espresso. I was converted and I hate de-caf...I'll bring a sample of them too :) ;)
espressomattic

Postby mhuk » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:26 pm

Must have missed it Cuba Cafede Caracolillo Peaberry, or is it new in the past week?

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Postby simonp » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:47 pm

I'm currently enjoying the last drops of my last blend (see post), and some 4 day old Daterra Reserve Espresso blend. My first roast of this year's offering was not that good, but now it seems better, I am being carefull around 2nd crack, as it is tricky to hear the first pops sometimes, even with the Hottop, and it can be easy to roast too dark.
I had a 1oz 40s ristretto last night, yes a little slow, but it was very smooth, nutty and loads of chocolate.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby AlanP » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:48 pm

mhuk wrote:Must have missed it Cuba Cafede Caracolillo Peaberry, or is it new in the past week?

Link
In the 2kg Greens section
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby simonp » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:50 pm

simonp wrote:I'm currently enjoying the last drops of my last blend (see post), and some 4 day old Daterra Reserve Espresso blend. My first roast of this year's offering was not that good, but now it seems better, I am being carefull around 2nd crack, as it is tricky to hear the first pops sometimes, even with the Hottop, and it can be easy to roast too dark.
I had a 1oz 40s ristretto last night, yes a little slow, but it was very smooth, nutty and loads of chocolate.

Just thinking about this, I have fropped the pressure at the group to 9 bar (from 11-12), which may have an effect on the taste of this blend, as I always do ristrettos. I seem to remember with the Silvia that the Daterra was not good with a high pressure setting as a ristretto.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Nataleeps » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:14 pm

I'm drinking a very nice WP Decaf Tanzania Peaberry from Sweet Maria's. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but it's the last of it. Hasbean has increased its decafs since my last order so I'm ordering one of each to try. Quite scary only having 250g of a bean as I can't make a mistake (actually I can and often do).
Has any one else noticed the difference when roasting a WP decaf compared to a CO2 decaf. I find with the WP the 1st and 2nd crack overlap a lot more, or is it just the case with the few types I've tried?
Rancilio S26, Bezzera BB105 grinder, Cunill Tauro grinder, Hottop
Nataleeps

Postby BazBean » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Columbian "Mina Estate" and just cant stop drinking that Celebes Kalosi... but at work i am overdosing on a new espresso blend developed by a certain globe trotting, "celebrity" roaster most of us are familular with. :D
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby espressomattic » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:59 pm

I really notice the difference when roasting the Sidamo Decaf and the Brazillian Fazenda Decaf. The Brazillian is more like a normal bean, whereas the Sidamo, whilst having a good solid 1C, it is closely followed by 2C. Not much of a gap there.
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:45 pm

Has any one else noticed the difference when roasting a WP decaf compared to a CO2 decaf. I find with the WP the 1st and 2nd crack overlap a lot more, or is it just the case with the few types I've tried?

Decaf roasts are always unuseual, and this is common in my experiance.

but at work i am overdosing on a new espresso blend developed by a certain globe trotting, "celebrity" roaster most of us are familular with. Very Happy

:) Dont know who you mean :)
Steve
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping