Panama La Torcaza Estate

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Panama La Torcaza Estate

Postby phil » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:30 pm

OK I'm going to roast some tomorrow (it's too late tonight, had to go to the physio, got back at 22:15).

What's the recommended roast? Sounds like the sort of thing to be taken just shy of 2nd.

Steve, any comments?

Eward, when you came across this stuff originally it was in an espresso wasn't it? Roasted and blended as a melange? (light & dark of the same bean) - I think that's what you said - well you did use the word melange (I looked up your posting - I know you, if I ask you'll only tell me to do that anyway :lol: ) but did you mean it in the proper blending sense?

So troops, do we try that as well?
phil
Founder Member

melange?

Postby Sunnyfield » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:01 pm

Did I use that word? I do not remember. It would be a word I use.

I have never tasted it. I think Neku was really keen on trying it. There was some question about the roasting degree several months ago. I think just into second crack was the answer.

The leaflet that came with it suggested 'just before it gets oily'.

I will do two small roasts tonight. Apparently it is optimal after 72 hours!

Phil, don't you think the blend looks not too dissimilar from David Schomer?
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Chips

Postby Sunnyfield » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:03 pm

Chips, I thought you were talking Malabar Gold.

Er... La Torcaza tasted like it was roasted reasonably light. I guess just before 2nd crack.

Steve, I didn't know you had the La Torcaza ready! I will place a bigger order after I come back from New York on Mon 14 Sep.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

And yes...

Postby phil » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:12 pm

...talking about the MG in the wrong topic I do agree it looks like Vivace Dolce. At the time I opined that it probably contained monsooned beans, as I'd seen them before and knew what they looked like.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:51 pm

Hi

I didnt wat to pressure you for the LTE eward, I know you wantred some but thought you would see it in the newsletter so didnt chase you and make you buy some.

Hopefully before you come back me and phil will have sorted my bulk pricing out :)

Have a good trip and we will look forward to the new york tales :). In regards to the Sweet Marias ordering, were would you start you fill your suit case and let us know the good stuff :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Tried it this morning in the vac pot

Postby phil » Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:20 pm

Mild, smooth, pleasant, perhaps not so "citrusy" or "floral" as Steve suggested but perhaps that's my roast. Allyson loved it but she prefers milder, sharper coffees like Centrals anyway, and she insists on having moo juice in her coffee. There's no helping some folk!
phil
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping