What's in the espresso blend this week?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What's in the espresso blend this week?

Postby simonp » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:13 pm

I've backed off from the old blending posts recently, as work has been manic, and I am not supposed to use the web at work for personal use (even at lunch) so have limited time to access TMC, and, frankly, I suspect people were getting bored :roll:

Anyway, thought I'd post my latest blending. Nothing new really, just fancied a change after drinking bought blends and SOs.

Last week:

75g Brazilian Cachoera (Hasbean & Roberts)
75g Sulawesi Kalosi (Hasbean)
80g Ethopean Harar Horse (Sweet Marias)

I cheated and roasted the lot together in the Hottop. It came out quite well, done to about 20 seconds of 2nd crack, the Harar was done a little more than the Cach or Kalosi which was good.
This was a big crema producer! Sweet and caramelly and berry overtones (this Harar has BIG blueberry flavours and aromas)

This week:
250g Brazilian Cachoera (Roberts) roasted alone about 15 seconds into 2nd crack.

125g Etheopian Harar (Sweet Marias)
125g Sumatra Mandheling (Sweet Marias)
Roasted about 30 seconds into 2nd crack, 2nd just getting rapid.

Using a 50/50 mix from both roasts. I had a very short ristretto this evening. Sweet and syruppy with wine and earth. Perhaps a little too intense this short, but stil quite nice. Also some dark chocolate in there.

Cheers :)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:43 pm

Sounds great Simon and I doubt very much that anyone is bored with your blends. Was this week's blend also a pre-roast mix? What are the characteristics of the Sulawesi Kalosi? I know the Cachoera and Harrar, but Kalosi is new to me :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:50 am

That first blend is what I had in mind also, but was going to add some Antigua. Different quantities though...well now yo have experimented SImon, I will definetly give it a go.

The Kalosi is a really great Bean. BEst taken quite dark so the oils are just showing. It is a real earthy tasting bean that is great as an SO in espresso. One of my fav's. Go on give it a go Cakey...
espressomattic

Postby Joris » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:40 pm

Must try those blends soon... sounds delicious :)

Did a blend of Djimmah Zengage (75g), Monsooned Malabar (125g) and Harrar (75g), weighed before roasting, roasted seperately.
Roasted the Djimmah 10sec into 2nd crack, malabar 30 sec into 2nd and the Harrar 20 sec into 2nd.

Result was nice, thick crema, spicey with a hint of citrus and blueberry, heavy body, taste lasted *long* :)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby zapty » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:22 pm

Did Monsooned Malabar with El Salvador and Kenya Rukira this week, all equal amounts, very tasty also did Jemen Matari and Rukira as well as Kona and Rukira, both very tasty blends.
Did all blending after the roasting, I sometimes blend before roasting. I really enjoy making blends but tend to first try the SO by themselves before blending.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby simonp » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:22 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Was this week's blend also a pre-roast mix? What are the characteristics of the Sulawesi Kalosi? I know the Cachoera and Harrar, but Kalosi is new to me :D

No, the Cach was done separately as I wanted that at a lighter roast. The Kalosi and Harar were done together as both are dry processed, and want that little bit darker roast.

The Kalosi is earthy, but no so much as Lintong, it is quite sweet, and has a buttery taste. It is very smoothe, and goes well in equal quantities with Cachoera to make the base of an espresso blend. Here I have used it in a smaller quantity to add some body to a 50% Cach base, and then the Harar for fruit and a little acidity.

There is quite a kick to this blend, and makes a nice cappucino with a double ristretto.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:25 pm

Sounds it - I look forward to a little blending once I get my greens stock built up. Cheers Simon, appreciate the info :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:15 am

I just preblended and roasted 250 grams of Rukira Peaberry Estate Blend together with 250 grams Papoea New Guinea Sigri in the old gas fired Nestor Martin roaster.
Nice even roast, roasted just into second crack (18 min and 30 secs). Smells already very nice.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping