Lavazza Ground Coffees.

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Paws » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

I don't think that would be a good gift.

Asda Beans in an Asda Grinder in an Asda Espresso Maker sound quite worrying. The bloody thing would probably explode.

Nuclear weaponary? Nah. This would be more fatal.
Paws

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:16 pm

Hey my mom works for Asda, do you mind :)

It would all be branded Wallmart any how's. God I hate the supermarkets, but still use um :(
Last edited by Steve on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:17 pm

I hate suppermarkets too Steve, Super Markets aren't so bad... ;)
espressomattic

Postby Beanie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:29 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Was that the crap you made us slurp before we got to the good stuff? ..... oh yuk :x :lol:

Heheh... I sneakily skipped that one :shock: :lol:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Beanie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:32 pm

What about salt in food, Davec? :twisted:
Last edited by Beanie on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby KateM » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:10 pm

Steve wrote:
I use sainsbury own blends at my cuppings just to key in how bad coffee can be. Always goes well afterwards :)

Yes remember being subjected to that, you're a strange kind of grown up Steve. :lol:
Gaggia TD, Rocky, Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs , old ''Cona Standard'' and well worn JonathanM
KateM

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:42 pm

Davec wrote:I do think it's dreadful what Super markets have done to our food, truly dreadful. Unfortunately the whole thing is probably irreversible now.

Saw a great interview on Ch 4 News last week, where a representative of Sainsbury's happily declared that they would be reducing prices accross the board again this financial year. Which will mean screwing producers even more and providing the customer with even more dire produce. Great!
Steve The Sadist wrote:I use sainsbury own blends at my cuppings just to key in how bad coffee can be. Always goes well afterwards :)

Which is why I refuse to visit, as I just know he's going to bring out the Lidl Special Blend for me! :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:23 pm

Own brand value coffee powder is about all you deserve Soapy :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:46 pm

Paws said:
I had a look at the Lavazza website. Seems they have brought out a solid espresso thing. Looks kinda disgusting!

You know this is the same thing that Jimseven used for his special drink in the UK barista champs (eg gels), and he won 8)
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Paws » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:49 pm

But thats not really a drink then. More of a desert?
Paws

Postby kingseven » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:10 pm

If it is what I think it is then he is probably using some sort of alginate, which run the risk of having the same texture as snot. (I know - gross, I am sorry)
Having just watched the video, whilst reading the post, it is also likely it is stabilised with some xanthan or something like that.
Either way I doubt it is particularly pleasant to eat.

I used a different gelling agent which allow me to keep the texture and movement of water with some of the benefits of a gel. If I understood it all I'd claim to be a genius....
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby leecb » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:43 pm

I think, knowing a bit about Ferran Adria from El Bulli (just outside Barcelona) it will be some weird chemistry thing. That's what he's reknowned for!
I imagine that it's unlikely to be something as obvious as Xanthum gum which is a pretty common stabiliser and thickener used in all sorts of processed foods. Don't know about alginate, but i bet it's something right out there.
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby kingseven » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:50 pm

xanthan is a great stabilizer, I use it quite a lot - though over 0.2% and I don't really like the texture. Just because it is common doesnt mean it can't have new and interesting uses - like some of the methyl celluloses I've been playing with. Originally all they could think of to do with them was thicken shampoo. Now they are used in loads of foods.

Alginate is now a little out of fashion - bear in mind the Lavazza video is dated 2002. They used it to make coffee caviar which is also quite fun (for a short while anyway - then it hardens and gets horrid).

I don't know what El Bulli are up to. I'm off to the labs at the Fat Duck next monday to show them my sig drink - for all their help they've never seen or tasted it. Can't wait - I always learn so much there...
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:55 am

Dom muttered
Which is why I refuse to visit, as I just know he's going to bring out the Lidl Special Blend for me! Wink

Well its served you well for this long :) Last Lidl blend I sent you said you enjoyed ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Paws » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:09 pm

Lidl Blend. *Shudder*

So...anyone got any ideas what I could use the Lavazza ground for?
Paws

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping