A new Blend???

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:42 am

Tasted of tinned strawberries to me .... very sweet and syrupy, with a little raspberry edge. Yummy :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:44 am

tinned strawberries? Never had that before... are you implying a metallic taste??? :shock:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:44 am

And its the first time I've ever found that in Sumatra, it was very different.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:47 am

Mmmmm.... I think I'm going to HAVE to roast the Lintong tomorrow :) Oooohhh maybe Harrar & Lintong and have a blueberry-strawberry party next wk :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:59 am

BeanyBlueberryFiend wrote:Mmmmm.... I think I'm going to HAVE to roast the Lintong tomorrow Oooohhh maybe Harrar & Lintong and have a blueberry-strawberry party next wk

Stop torturing me! :(

Bean_Believer wrote:tinned strawberries? Never had that before... are you implying a metallic taste??? :shock:

No, I mean the sweetness of tinned strawberries with their condensed flavour as opposed to the sometimes subtle and less sweet taste of fresh strawberries. I think that is where I got a hint of raspberry from too.

I'll get my coat .... :roll: :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:14 am

I've never even seen tinned strawberries! At least, not that I can recall - not that that's saying much :roll: But I think I may understand what you mean - like DIY macerated strawberries?

OH I can hardly wait... I'm almost tasting it now... mmmmm... Harrar-Lintong ristretto over a nice vanilla ice-cream for desert :twisted: with real berries and a sprig of mint for garnish
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:17 am

Nasty of you :wink: - I want some too! I'm starving now for lovely sweet things over ice cream. Do you have any coconut flavoured? :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:20 am

Oooooo... thanks for the idea - I'll serve that up in halved coconut shells!!
Beanie

Postby espressomattic » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:55 am

BAck on topic.... ;)

I think I will go for the other African as suggested as I find Yirg just a tad too citrus. I think I can hear the Zambia Lupili calling. Had thought about the Lingtong as well..oh damn all too much to choose from. Thanks for the suggestions though...Beany, you may well see tinned strawberries soon and see what he means... :)
espressomattic

Postby kingseven » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:03 am

I would use Indonesian for that earth/spice note - maybe a good Lingtong or an excellent Kalosi (good for milk drinks too).
Throw in a pulped or natural, maybe something like the screen dried Cachoeira, or some La Fany bourbon.
I am seeing Longberries cropping up in more and more blends - don't know if they are worth a try.

I should really know more about this as I am blending for competition. But I don't.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:28 am

That really works as a great home machine style blend (I've done variations around it), as there's nothing to scary for the home machine to deal with. The only thing missing is the spice kind of background from the original brief.

Something like a good Kona would give it this pepper style spicy kick, or maybe some Yemen or similar.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:31 am

I never know where to look for spice. Unless you count Malabar and salt as a spice....
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Beanie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:08 am

I've been wracking the space btwn my ears all night trying to remember which of two coffees I had soooo long ago where I thought "spicy". I know one of those was one I had at home but I haven't found it :( The other one was either a Mexican (don't know which) or Guatemalan Antigua that was in the cupping course in Seattle - but unfortunately, I think I was the only one who thought it had the after taste of red chilli peppers hitting the back of the tongue in the finish. Not the heat of the chilli but the taste of it, if you know what I mean?

But then again, what sort of spice are you looking for, Breako? Cinnamon, paprika, nutmeg, chicory, chillies, etc are spices - but oh so different :)
Beanie

Postby Beanie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:17 am

Davec wrote:Had you been at the seaside in the UK in the late 60s, they used tinned strawberries (along with many other types of tinned fruit) in the ubiquitous "Knickerbocker Glory". A firm favourite amongst rich kids and an annual treat for the poor (like me). :wink:

Not been to a UK seaside... and wasn't even a twinkle in my parents' eyes in the late 60s ;) Come to think of it, I can't even recall when I had my first strawberry!!! It can happen when you spend the first several years of your life growing up on a equatorial island with sooooooo many tropical fruits available fresh ;)
Beanie

Postby espressomattic » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:25 am

I thnk the Gautamalan Antigua is what I am after, so here is my 'final' choice:

Screen Dried Chac, Gaut Antigua, Kalosi (For the caffine) and either Harrar or Zambia Lupili...Now onto quantities...
espressomattic

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping