A new Blend???

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:40 am

Ah the great holiday knickerbocker glory with tinned fruit salad and tinned strawberries :D .

Back to the coffee ....... That screened Cach was great Matt, lovely and clean compared to the regular one. Need to try your blend when it is sorted. Fancy splitting the cost and roasting a little more? :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:49 am

Yeah can do, I was going to do it a "24/7" Blend for those long nights. I'll work out the costs/amounts and get back to you...How does 2KG sound?? :)
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:13 pm

Good grief Matt ....... not all roasted at once though eh? :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Joris » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:00 pm

Bean_Believer wrote:I'm just gonna have to steer this back on topic.

That would be a first ;)

On topic:

A couple of weeks ago I tried a blend of 50% Monsooned Malabar / 40% Guatemala Las Nubes / 10% Kenya AA and I liked it.

It had a bit of sour in it, lots of body and reminded me a bit of fruit. Wouldn't know how to describe the taste in accurate cupping lingo though....
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:24 pm

Joris wrote:
Bean_Believer wrote:I'm just gonna have to steer this back on topic.

That would be a first ;)

On topic:

A couple of weeks ago I tried a blend of 50% Monsooned Malabar / 40% Guatemala Las Nubes / 10% Kenya AA and I liked it.

It had a bit of sour in it, lots of body and reminded me a bit of fruit. Wouldn't know how to describe the taste in accurate cupping lingo though....

Do any of us, apart from Steve, Jim and the other pros here? Just tell it as you taste it :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:58 pm

Joris - some days, the best I can do is:
Mmm... nice
Mmmmhmmm... even nicer
mmeehh... not as nice

:shock: :lol:

I do have to add though that it's a very good experience to cup/taste coffee/espresso with other people. It's like calibrating your taste buds. Sometimes it takes someone mentioning a taste to trigger it for you :) Sometimes it also takes a while before you use the same taste descriptor. And even when you're very familiar with a particular coffee, you just never know what you hear from others that helps you identify yet another flavour :) Apart from all that, it's more interesting and tons more fun to be cupping with other enthusiasts :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:40 pm

Totally agree on all counts BeanyBully - it helped me no end :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby kingseven » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:52 pm

I still find it incredibly useful, and I often need someone else with me when I am blending or testing something because I still doubt what I taste sometimes (in terms of evaluation).

I am planning to hook up with another barista, one machine, one blend and really play with it to give us both some sense of a benchmark. Sadly he is over in Dublin which makes this sort of thing tricky.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:08 pm

Unless you nip over and sample some of the black stuff whilst you are there :drink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping