Recommendations for filter coffee beans please

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Recommendations for filter coffee beans please

Postby Spanner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:23 pm

In my new found zeal as a coffee evangalist (donations to the ladies in the bikinis please) I have converted one of the other partners at my firm to Steve's beans.

So far he has tried the breakfast bomb (which he liked - but wasn't knocked over by) and the Brazilian fazenda (which he didn't like so much). He wasn't great at explaining what he was after other than:
- he likes an clean cup (I think he means clarity of flavour here)
- he likes a dark roast (dark and oily)
- he does not like thickness of texture (I think this is related to the clean cup - he does drink espresso at resaurants but won't do plunger because of the added extras in the texture).

His ideal coffee is one they sell at Valvona & Crolla called Continental High Roast - apparently quite dark and oily. Of course flying to Edinburgh does tend to push up the price. Valvona describe it as... "A classic full roast made from a blend of Brazilian, Colombian, Ethiopian Arabica and Ugandan Robusta"

Any suggestions from the mighty HB range??

Cheers and thanks
Andrew
Spaziale New EK
Astoria CKX Compact
Mazzer mini timer
Squeals of frustration
Understanding wife
Spanner

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:37 pm

Try the Nicaraguan Coop 22 September - it's not really heavy and it is not cheap but it does give a lovely full, clean cup. Steve served us some from a Santos Vac Pot and it was lovely.

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/product_info.p ... cts_id=424
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby jameso » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:51 pm

For a cheaper opotion, Manuela. Thickness of texture will be avoided if it's brewed moka or vac rather than plunger. Clean flavours. Is it dark enough for him? He'll have to try and see...
HotTop
Iberital MC2, modded Dualit grinder, Zassenhaus
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

Writing free fractal generation software
jameso

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping