Greenies in Ireland?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Greenies in Ireland?

Postby neocelt » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:22 am

Greetings! I'm new to TMC and I'm in the process of relocating to Ireland. I'm just starting to dabble with home-roasting (with a Poppery II air popper), so I'd appreciate any sources y'all might have for green beans--are there any in Ireland at all? My farm is just outside Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, so I'm pretty close to both Cork City and Waterford City. If there was a good source in Dublin, I could probably sort out a mail order arrangement (it's a four-hour drive--if you don't hit the city at rush hour!). I've purchased a couple of things on eBay from England, and the shipping has been very dear (considering it's just spittin' distance across the Irish Sea!), so I presume that procuring green beans on a regular basis from Old Albion might be prohibitively expensive. What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Nick
neocelt

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:30 am

Greenies in ireland. I heard about the guinness that was green for St Patricks day, is that what you meant :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby neocelt » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:05 am

Ah, sure!
neocelt

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:22 am

How much is a HasBean order over the Irish Sea Steve?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:27 am

PM'd

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby BAB » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi neo, welcome to omuchcoffee and welcome to the land the postal service forgot ;)
I've been into Bewleys in Dublin (who have returned to roasting in-house in the last while) just now and asked on your behalf about the possibility of getting some of their greens (they have a good range). They guy on the counter said they'd never had anybody ask before so I'm to return tomorrow and speak to Paul (the head honcho) and see what the story is. I'll keep you posted but I've met Paul before and he seems like a reasonable guy so I can't see why there'd be a problem. You never know, I might even be tempted to try the roasting thing myself!!!
BAB

Postby neocelt » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:09 pm

Thanks BAB! Nice to make contact with another (dare I say it?) coffeegeek in Eire! Are there others who hang out here at TMC??? I appreciate your help sussing out green beans--I'd probably be ordering a kilo of a particular variety at a time (this might help in determining postage to Dungarvan). I might get up to Atha Cliath once in awhile, but regular shipments are going to be the norm for me...

Again, many thanks!
Nick
neocelt

Postby BAB » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:46 pm

Hi Nick, I know I'm being nosey but what brings you to Dungarvan and where do you hang out? I only ask 'cos my wife is from Abbeyside and she'll be going down occasionally so there may be some synergy here :)

Brian.
BAB

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping