That Harar bluebrry thing

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

That Harar bluebrry thing

Postby simonp » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:01 am

I roasted some Etheopian Harar Horse (Sweet Marias) recently to use in espresso blending (with some Brazil Sweet Yellow Bourbon, and some Sumatran Mandheling) and press pot. I roasted the Harar a little darker than my normal, about 20-30 seconds in to 2nd crack following Steve's advice on Harar.
Now, Harar is quite famous for sometimes having blueberry flavour, but this stuff has it in abundence. When you open the bag of roast beans the fruity blueberry aroma is immense, also echoed in the cup. What a shame I only have about 300g left :(
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Beanie » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:21 am

*slurp*dribble*drool* My 1st roast of Harrar was like that... the blueberry was so strong I didn't smell coffee anymore :shock: Unfortunately, of all the roasts, that's the only profile I couldn't find in my book :cry: Strangely enough, I decided to drag my last roast longer (than start of 2C) until rolling 2nd started (about 15-20 sec after start). I'm getting closer to that heady scent. Perhaps I should brave it and drag it out longer for another 10 seconds.

My last roast had a dry satiny sheen to it. Was yours like that too or shinier?

Thanks for this one. Just thinking about my first time with Harrar :oops: makes me :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby simonp » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:09 pm

My last roast had a dry satiny sheen to it. Was yours like that too or shinier?

That is similar to mine, just a couple of oil spots on some beans. I took it till the 2nd crack just started to roll.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping