Lavazza Beans et al

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Lavazza Beans et al

Postby Davec » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:29 am

I just discovered that Lavazza Espresso beans from my local sainsburys are rubbish :cry: Very poor flavour, sort of horrible bitterness to them, totally lack body. Crema production poor

Gaggia beans in the trin were a dried up dissapointment of weak arabica coffees lacking body and taste. crema production was very poor

Sainsburys own Lombardy espresso beans are far superior (in fact not bad for a supermarket). Crema production average (either all arabica or possibly 5% robusta)

Waitrose own Espresso beans in a Tin, not bad, nice flavour rish, mellow and full, crema poor to average (an all arabica blend)
Davec

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:35 am

Blimey Dave, valiant testing, but rather you than me!
"Where others fear to tread"
On a parallel note, simply the fact that supermarkets stock beans at all is a step in the right direction... I have never seen a supermarket in France that sold beans.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Joris » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:05 am

Brave man .... ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby HughF » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:57 am

A few years ago before home-roasting I used to like the Waitrose Kenya blend beans, ground using a Dualit/Solis 166 grinder, but I wasn't making espresso then.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:52 pm

Davec wrote
Gaggia beans in the trin were a dried up dissapointment of weak arabica coffees lacking body and taste. crema production was very poor

I was in a department store in Sept, that were demoeing the G.Classic. The assistant poured some coffee into the p/f and tapped the heap gently, giving a 'volcano' shape. Needless to say, no crema and drek tasting. They were using Gaggia pre-ground. I said " You'll sell twice as many machines, if you don't demonstrate them"
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Aadje » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:01 pm

:D
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby jameso » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:32 am

Waitrose seem to take trouble sourcing their beans. I've seen them listed on C of E auction winners lists. If it has to be supermarket valve-packed beans, I trust them more than most!
HotTop
Iberital MC2, modded Dualit grinder, Zassenhaus
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

Writing free fractal generation software
jameso

Postby espressomattic » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:40 am

My good old wifey bought me some Sainsburys Continental Beans and Columbian at Xmas...in her words 'To experiment with'...How considerate is that. Whilst they are not the best, they are not bad at all. Certainly not as fresh tasting as home roasted, but I wouldn't waste them either. I may try the Lombardy on what was said above.
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:23 am

Wow he suffered so we would not have too, brave man :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Davec » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:21 pm

Steve wrote:Wow he suffered so we would not have too, brave man :)

Steve

Funnily enough I was searching the web for a nearer micro-roaster and an obscure business listing indicated I might have one within 500m of where I live :shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought, I would have smelt it long before now, and sometimes I used to think I did, but mabye was my imagination! So I called them up, "do you roast on the premises"..."im roasting right now".

I am popping in to see them this afternoon, hopefully although trade sales, possibly they will sell to me.....we shall see :roll:
Davec

Postby Aadje » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:26 pm

Sounds interesting, do let us know.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby kingseven » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:40 pm

Waitrose are now selling pre-ground Cup of Excellence coffee. I won't say who roasts it, but it makes me sad. At least it is a step in the right direction.

There are too many good roasters online to waste money on "branded" coffee in supermarkets in my humble (and properly written out) opinion.

The Gaggia stuff is pretty shocking, especially the "Intense" which is 40% good old fashioned ropey robusta. Even the pure arabica stuff has a distinct woodiness to it, that is likely down to some cheap Santos.

Haven't tried the Waitrose stuff, but it's probably roasted by the same people who do most of the supermarket stuff - so no doubt a little rubbish...
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Davec » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:26 pm

kingseven wrote:Waitrose are now selling pre-ground Cup of Excellence coffee. I won't say who roasts it, but it makes me sad. At least it is a step in the right direction.

There are too many good roasters online to waste money on "branded" coffee in supermarkets in my humble (and properly written out) opinion.

The Gaggia stuff is pretty shocking, especially the "Intense" which is 40% good old fashioned ropey robusta. Even the pure arabica stuff has a distinct woodiness to it, that is likely down to some cheap Santos.

Haven't tried the Waitrose stuff, but it's probably roasted by the same people who do most of the supermarket stuff - so no doubt a little rubbish...

Your not wrong, but luckily I no longer have to travel 25 miles to get my coffee, amazingly there is a Micro Roaster within 500m of my house. Who will sell to the general public not the trade.

I spent a pleasant portion of the afternoon with Paul (once he came down from the roof, after unblocking the chimney) and his wife Gillian, and have over a Kilo of beans to try. One i the special espresso blend (which I am assured has no more than 10% good quality robusta (of which I think a little can help an espresso blend, also makes it a good allrounder). I also have some colombian, wich should be nice for those americanos. All nice and fresh, even saw the 25kg roaster :wink:

More to come after I have cleared out the Monsooned malabar crap from whittards out of my grinder, I paid 5 quid for 500gms of what I consider to be stale and over-roasted rubbish from Whittards :cry:
Davec

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:42 pm

Davec wote
Monsooned malabar crap from whittards out of my grinder, I paid 5 quid for 500gms of what I consider to be stale and over-roasted

I have a theory, which I'm sure is true. You're trying to destroy those 10% extra taste buds you have on your tongue. Buying from Supermarkets, Whittards etc., is cheaper than surgery.
It's a drastic method of 'blending in with the crowd', I am I right or am I right?
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Davec » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:05 pm

cumberpach wrote:Davec wote
Monsooned malabar crap from whittards out of my grinder, I paid 5 quid for 500gms of what I consider to be stale and over-roasted

I have a theory, which I'm sure is true. You're trying to destroy those 10% extra taste buds you have on your tongue. Buying from Supermarkets, Whittards etc., is cheaper than surgery.
It's a drastic method of 'blending in with the crowd', I am I right or am I right?
QC

Your right, it's my punishment for not wanting to drive 25m to get my beans, but at least now I don't have too. Assuming of course that these are any good...they look and taste ok, but havn't tried them in coffee.....yet. l8r tonite though :wink:
Davec

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping