Suggestions please for home blending

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Suggestions please for home blending

Postby espressomattic » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:17 pm

I have never blended my own beans, but I want to give it a go. So my fellow coffee fiends what do you reccommend? I would like to know quantities ect, how you match flavours and what you personally find works together. I love all types of coffee whether it is african or south american. I also want to include some Robusta, so your thoughts on that would be appreciated too.

:) Cheers

Matt
espressomattic

Postby Beanie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:16 pm

Matt, have you looked up the many blend posts from SimonP yet? This one is my favourite so far though :)

Happy experimenting,
Marcy
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby blackice » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:50 pm

I now use a Brazil Santos/Uganda Drugas blend for espresso. I'm going to try adding 10% Uganda Robusta.
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby espressomattic » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:15 pm

Hi Marcy, thanks for that didn't realise that was all going on being an older newbie and that :)

I have been given a list of beans that work together:

Fazenda Borbon
Celbes Toraja Kalosi
La Manuela
Yirg
Guatamala Santa Barbara

I will be giving these a go come pay day and I will also be experimenting with some Monsooned Robusta in the mix.. When I do I will let you know how it goes..or doesn't :wink:

My next question is this:

Do you roast the beans seperatly or together and then mix them up???

Matt
espressomattic

Postby simonp » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:58 pm

espressomattic wrote:My next question is this:

Do you roast the beans seperatly or together and then mix them up???

Matt

Ideally you roast separately so you can get each bean to the desired roast. In practice, unless you roast smeall batches, or drink a LOT of coffee it is easier to blend beans that roast similarly, and you want to a similar level together. Also some beans you will use in a small quantity in a blend, and if you roast a batch you will have loads left when your base bean (usually at 50% or so) has gone. You can always use the leftovers as brewed coffee, unless it is something you roast quite dark for espresso (like Lintong, I go quite dark for espresso, and thus makes it too dark as brewed for me).
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Beanie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:08 am

The ones in "my fave" above are pre-blended ;)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping