Storing fresh beans

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Storing fresh beans

Postby Captain_Crema » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:43 pm

Just got back from Whittards with a nice collection of beans. They said "store them in the freezer for longevity".

Is this baloney or is it the best way?
Captain_Crema

Postby espressomattic » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:06 pm

It is split really. I think most people here would say not to freeze. When you freeze them, obviously they freeze, however in taking the bag in and out of the freezer you create condensation even in small quantities. This will degrade the quality of the bean. If they are pre-roasted, they are best left in the packet until opening and then decanted into an airtight container and used ASAP.

If they are pre ground then they will degrade even quicker and the effcts of freezing will be multiplied.

Hope this help or am I talking garbage guys?
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:04 pm

I'm with espressomattic here, best way to keep um fresh is to buy them is small ammounts and drink um :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby PD » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:41 pm

I used to freeze mine, but found a small improvement just buying a 250g bag as i need it which is about every 10-14 days. That way beans are at their freshest.

If you don't drink in big quantities, ie a 250g bag once every 4-5 weeks then, i wouldn't have a problem freezing.
Izzo Vivi HX, Mazzer Super Jolly, Aerobie, and Pro Tamp Tamper
PD

Postby Captain_Crema » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:08 pm

Steve wrote:I'm with espressomattic here, best way to keep um fresh is to buy them is small ammounts and drink um :)

Sadly this won't work for me. I only get to drink my own espresso at the weekends. I've a 2hr commute, so having a shot before going (at 6:30am) is out of the question. Don't want to get caught short on the train (ahem). By the time I get back (8:00pm) it's too late in the day to be enjoying caffeine.

Otherwise I'd agree. So it looks like freezing is the way forward, at least for now. I take the point about condensation but I reckon this will be offset by the beans being frozen in the meantime.

Never mind, it is only Whittards coffee, which I was disappointed with anyway.
Captain_Crema

Postby tisri » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:57 pm

If freshness is an issue you need to ask how long the beans have been in their jars at the coffee shop. I can't comment on any particular retailer but have to wonder how long it takes a small shop to shift a large boxful of beans.

Incidentally I found some Whittard's beans that had been in the freezer for four years and were still identifiable from their taste. They weren't as good as straight from the shop but had survived remarkably well.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping