Daterra Sweet Yellow

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Daterra Sweet Yellow

Postby simonp » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:52 pm

Just tried a new bean (new to me anyway). Daterra Sweet Yellow Bourbon from Brazil source - Hasbean). Roasted in the Hottop about 15 seconds in to 2nd crack, and rested 3 days. I did this as a single origin the the espresso machine, very nice, sweet, caramel and nut flavours (smelt of marzipan in the roasted bean bag), and a very muted sweet acidity not unlike apple at the end. It had a lovely thick fluffy crema that stuck to the cup, see the photo, mmmmmm.

I have some Bugisu to try it with too.
Attachments
sweet yellow crema.jpg
sweet yellow crema.jpg (41.43 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Beanie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:06 pm

Oooo, I sense another blend post coming up :) Hope to see this one in the review section in case this thread gets "lost" :)

BTW, do you find it unusual to have the crema stick to the cup like that? Am I just lucky to get that most of the time... when my extraction is right ?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:20 pm

Now THAT is what I call a ristretto! :lol:
On the subject of crema, I'm often disappointed if my cup doesn't look like that after a double.
Good stuff the daterra yellow isn't... I've been drinking it this past week too, along with some Bolivian Org.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:46 pm

Most of my shots do stick like this, some blends/beans more than others. This one was particularly good though.
I find it is a good way to judge the shot if it is viscous enoght to stick like that.

I've just noticed that this bean has gone from the site, so I guess Steve has run out :cry:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Beanie » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:10 am

Darn! From your description I could almost smell it! Steve, don't be cruel like that... please tell me you're about to restock. I'm going to have to have another order either pre-Xmas or post-NY. All Xmas gifts this year from me will be in the form of freshly roasted coffee :twisted: Oh, and I like the changes to HB :)

BTW, since your last blend post, I've had a hard time moving away from that one. Haven't really roasted much of anything else, in fact :oops: Been playing around with ratios... and the last one, roasting the Harrar separately. There's just an endless combo to play around with! I'll have to move on soon though... almost out of the Bolivian and have been neglecting my other beans too much.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:46 am

Yummy :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby simonp » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:08 am

Bean_Believer wrote:BTW, since your last blend post, I've had a hard time moving away from that one. Haven't really roasted much of anything else, in fact :oops: Been playing around with ratios... and the last one, roasting the Harrar separately. There's just an endless combo to play around with! I'll have to move on soon though... almost out of the Bolivian and have been neglecting my other beans too much.

I now have the beans to do Steve's original blend with the Kona, so I'll try that soon, and post the results.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping