Does anyone know this bean?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Does anyone know this bean?

Postby vinter » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:39 am

Being a novice in the home roasting game , and basically just trying every bean I can get my hands on in my Iroast - I got hold of a bean from Indonesia called Sulotco Sulawesi, private estate, Bolokan Rante Karua Mountain/Tana Toraja Grade 1, WP

Does anyone know it, how hard should it be roasted, what is it especially good at? (Espress, milk, etc?)

Thanks!

:) Mads
Best regards, Mads
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

LM GS3 (former Elektra Semi Automatica), Casadio Instantaneo (Former Mazzer Mini E, former Macap M4 Doserless), Gene Cafe (former I-Roast 1)
vinter

Postby Steve » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:23 pm

Its better known as a Celebes Torja Kalosi, a good dark roast (yes thats right I do dark roast somethings guys) is when its at it best. I'm fairly sure I have tried this particular one on a sample and its good stuff.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby vinter » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:59 pm

Thanks Steve! Thats helpful. I've noticed that I have a tendency to get this roast pretty dark, no matter how careful I am - seems it has a very small timemargin from first crack to all of a sudden starting to "sweat" - but that might be me and the Iroast...anyway, I enjoy it.

Best, Mads
Best regards, Mads

LM GS3 (former Elektra Semi Automatica), Casadio Instantaneo (Former Mazzer Mini E, former Macap M4 Doserless), Gene Cafe (former I-Roast 1)
vinter

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:26 pm

Thats exactly what you should get Mad's its a real sweater :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby ivdp » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:46 pm

I don't think we are talking about a "normal" Sulawesi Kalosi Grade 1.
It clearly states WP = Washed Process.
This is different than the usual Semi Washed process for Kalosi or Toraja.
Too dark a roast will kill many of the delicate aroma's.

Ivo
www.ongebrand.nl
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:20 pm

Having has a search I found my cupping sheet on this one. It does need a dark roast.

Thanks Ivo for your advice but just because its washed doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dark roast it. I was aware it isn’t a standard Kalosi but I was trying to make it easy for Vinter to relate it to something he may have tried before.

I could go into the whole of my cupping sheet and have broken the bean down to the slightest detail but I didn’t think that would be that helpful. As it sounds like you have tried it would you like to compare cupping sheets? that would be very cool.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby ivdp » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:50 am

Hello Steve
Will come back on this later, we are preparing for an exhibition in Amsterdam this weekend, so not much to dig out cupping sheets right now.

Ivo
www.ongebrand.nl
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:04 am

Mads wrote
Being a novice in the home roasting game

Hi Mads, I'm fairly new to roasting and we both use a fluid air roaster, mine is the earlier, smaller model 'Precision'. I do 3 X 80g batches in succession.I would love to know how the Sulawesi roasts in the Hearthware?
Now that the consensus, seems to be dark roast, maybe you could do a couple of dark batches, say Full City to Full City+ (Sweet Marias pics) and let us know the result?
ps. I roast in the garage and I put my roaster in an open-topped box, during this cold weather.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby vinter » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:24 pm

Hi Quentin,

I would love to give it a go - am busy these next few weeks with studies but will try it out and report back.

Thanks all, for your inputs

Best, Mads
Best regards, Mads

vinter

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping