Have you tried...?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:01 am

I buy my green beans from Braithwaites in Dundee, a long-established supplier but I suspect one not often asked to supply green beans to domestic customers. Very helpful but unable to give me detailed info on a particular beans' origin. I've just finished some Monsooned Malabar...my first experience of this bean and a revelation. Apart from my staple (Old Brown Java), I have Daterra, PNG Organic, and Brazilian Santos to try as yet. All unknown to me so it is all a bit exciting.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:07 pm

It does all sound very exciting George. What was the Monsooned Malabar like? I have never tried it. The roasting threads are fuelling my upgrade fever again :( . I would love to get into roasting. Ah well, maybe next year :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:32 pm

It's unlike anything I've ever had.and has some unexpected flavours that I find difficult to describe. I did have some worries re how long to roast as I can't hear the second crack with my roaster (and I'm also quite deaf). Mark, you really have to get into roasting. It's so satisfying and the difference is amazing as one is unaware as to just how stale most roasted beans are until you gain some perspective. I am happy with the roaster I have at the moment as I feel it does give me a good measure of control but bear in mind that I'm very much a learner. The horror stories of mess and smoke have not materialised and I can roast quite happily on the top of my stove which has a fan outlet to the outside. It's all great fun.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby simonp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:37 pm

The horror stories of mess and smoke have not materialised and I can roast quite happily on the top of my stove which has a fan outlet to the outside. It's all great fun.

Try without the fan on, and you will find out why the horror stories are there :wink:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby HughF » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:44 pm

I use a HotTop, go slightly into second crack for Daterra espresso blend (but not when roasting for cafetiere) and have no problems with smoke - I really like the smell of roasting coffee. I don't have an extractor fan. Ask Tisri about darker roasts than this though.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:40 pm

Oi, stop hijacking my thread! I never post off topic ;-)
Phil, how about adding Braithwaites to the list. Looks like they had a website in 2004 but it no longer appears to work.

Another one up north is the bean shop also currently experiencing some intermittent problems with their site. Any experiences anyone (with their beans, not the site!)?
Other places I've not gotten around to trying:
Northern Tea
Union Roasters
Roast and Post
H.R. Higgins
Experiences anyone?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:03 pm

Maybe this thread should be made a sticky (What do you reckon Phil?) as it looks as though it is becoming a useful resource for finding current bean offerings and very importantly for information about sites that are down. It is only too easy to assume that a firm has gone out of business when trying to reach their site for the first time, when actually they may just be experiencing technical problems. It can also only be good news to point each other towards interesting finds and top notch beans. Nice one Dom :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby KateM » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:29 pm

gouezeri wrote:H.R. Higgins
Experiences anyone?

H R Higgins was my drug of choice supplier when at college some 25 years ago, they used to have an outlet in Duke Street. As far as I remember they only sell roasted. I haven't bought from them in 10 years or so but I seem to remember their customer service was excellent and they were prompt with delivery. As you can see their beans made a lasting impression, at the time I thought their coffee was good but I'm older (much) and wiser (?!?) now.
Gaggia TD, Rocky, Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs , old ''Cona Standard'' and well worn JonathanM
KateM

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:06 pm

GeorgeW wrote:It's unlike anything I've ever had.and has some unexpected flavours that I find difficult to describe. I did have some worries re how long to roast as I can't hear the second crack with my roaster (and I'm also quite deaf). Mark, you really have to get into roasting. It's so satisfying and the difference is amazing as one is unaware as to just how stale most roasted beans are until you gain some perspective. I am happy with the roaster I have at the moment as I feel it does give me a good measure of control but bear in mind that I'm very much a learner. The horror stories of mess and smoke have not materialised and I can roast quite happily on the top of my stove which has a fan outlet to the outside. It's all great fun.

Sorry George, I missed your reply earlier. Yes, it does all sound rather fun. I love reading about peoples' roasting adventures on TMC.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:27 pm

HughF wrote:I use a HotTop, go slightly into second crack for Daterra espresso blend (but not when roasting for cafetiere) and have no problems with smoke - I really like the smell of roasting coffee. I don't have an extractor fan. Ask Tisri about darker roasts than this though.

Cheers,

Hugh

Err..r...I've read a few posts about Tisri's predilection for beans on the dark side and feel I should be a wee bit wary here. :?
I really do have to come up with something which will allow me to hear the crack despite my hearing problem. I can lay my hand on a stethescope used by car mechanics to listen to engines but fear the heat of the case of the roaster may be a problem. Fear not! My ingenuity will overcome. I've just come up with a way to use my hearing aids when cycling (wind noise prohibits this) by winding pipe cleaners around the mic...a la outside broadcast sound mics.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:54 pm

GeorgeW wrote
I've just finished some Monsooned Malabar...my first experience of this bean and a revelation

I read (elsewhere) that the fluid air roaster, is the best method for roasting MB and it's the fav on my HearthwareP Roaster. This may be the best season for years, in tems of taste and crema volume - the choccy is very powerful. I ordered another 4k from HB, whilst stocks last.
You may also like their Eth Haraar and Yirg.
I really do have to come up with something which will allow me to hear the crack despite my hearing problem.

I don't bother to try and hear 2nd, over the roar of the fan. I select 5.25 in Summer and 5.50 in Winter and I find this works fine for my TB (taste buds).
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby simonp » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:02 pm

I can lay my hand on a stethescope used by car mechanics to listen to engines but fear the heat of the case of the roaster may be a problem

I thought of trying one of those (got the Hottop before I got round to it), as long as you don.t keep it on too long you should be OK. Worth a go I would think.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:09 pm

I've just realised that these type of stethoscopes are made to be laid against the hot cylinder blocks of cars so....no problem really. That's it then, I'll pursue it.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:41 pm

Whilst it's stationary !!
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:13 am

GeorgeW wrote:I've just realised that these type of stethoscopes are made to be laid against the hot cylinder blocks of cars so....no problem really. That's it then, I'll pursue it.

cumberpach wrote:Whilst it's stationary !!

Lol Quentin. Visions of George, stethoscope in hand, cycling at high speed throughout the Fife area in pursuit of a fast moving Imex ..... :shock: . That one's off my potential roaster list then .... unless you can clip its wings :idea:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping