Have you tried...?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Have you tried...?

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:49 pm

I'm carrying on recent threads regarding where we all get our beans and what we are particularly keen on at the moment. So, if you've tried something recently (either green or roasted) and you think other people might enjoy it, drop us a few lines here Recommendations from the usual supects is fine, but if you've found something special from a new source, do share with the rest of us and it may even allow us to update our coffee resources section to the benefit of us all.
Just to get the bean rolling, though not very original... I'm currently enjoying some...
Bolivian Organic (from HB): Good looking med size Green, very little chaff and a very even roast (11 min I-R, City). In the cup, it's milk chocolate all the way and a gentle acidity(not tried blending with it yet).
Brazil Daterra Sweet Yellow (dodgy footie shirt man again): Smaller size Green, not as regular shape, medium chaff (11 1/2min, F City). In the cup, great sweetness, lovely apple high notes (a little citrus) with a delicate nutty underneath, not heavy, but nice and rich.
So come on then, share your little finds (definitely doesn't have to be just from the UK)
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:16 pm

Bear in mind that I buy roasted:

From HB - Columbian Relationship "El Quebradon"; Nice caramel and nutty undertones. Rich and flavoursome with a light smokey aftertaste. Premium Espresso Blend; A lovely Northern Italian roast (edited, cheers Dom) with a perfect mix of richness and acidity. El Salvador "La Fany Bourbon"; A nice coffee with more acidity than my favourite Columbians, and a rounded rich flavour that appeared quite nutty from memory.

From H&V - Columbian Relationship "La Cacica"; Very sweet, more caramel than "El Quebradon" and less aftertaste. My Nan likes this one a lot in capps. Thought it deteriorated quite quickly. Flavours noticably disappearing 5 days after receiving it.

From Red Monkey - I have tried their sampler pack and some of them were very good. Unfortunately it was a while ago now, but I remember thinking one or two roasts were a little too dark for my liking (not Charbucks level though!).
Last edited by CakeBoy on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:31 pm

I tried a "test marketing sample" of an espresso yesterday at Lord Voldemort's place.

Probably something that won't make it to market, but a blend of East African (but not Kenyan!) and El Quebradon that had all four of us going "wow! what a wake-up call".

I'm being cagey about the exact make-up because:

1. He-who-must-not-be-named might try to zap me with a "Crucius" curse (:wink:)
2. I think you do need a really good machine (like our Spazios) pulling at the warmer end of the spectrum to appreciate it.

Assuming I live through this post though, I think this stuff is "wow" material (but probably a bit too special to be commercially viable)
Last edited by phil on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:43 pm

No Kenyan - what a surprise :wink: . Is it all round to Phil's place to sit around the Spazio then?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:56 pm

phil wrote: but probably a bit too special to be commercially viable

If people are willing to drink cat poo, you never know!
Dare I ask, nothing from any other sources Phil ? (we should be embarrased, we really should :roll:)
Gouezeri

Re: Have you tried...?

Postby MKSwing » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 pm

From HB : Green Ecuador Vilcabamba “valley of longevity”.
Very very good, one of the finest I tested so far.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby jameso » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:16 pm

It would have to be Gethumbwini and the Cacheoira that are my favs. Oh dear, I'm sounding brain-washed :?

I've also just roasted and tried Steve's CR Laguna. Anyone else tried it and tasted apple in there? If so, which one - I'd go for a Granny Smith myself. A rather nice surprise I thought.

Other suppliers - the only other greens I've tried are from Coffee Studio, where I bought my IMEX. They only have ten varieties of green, with very little info on them. The same greens they had a year ago. Little things that don't reassure - like saying that a coffee is "Cup of Excellence" (in this case a Brazil), but with no mention of a year, score or rank. But... - their Lekempti has some unusual dry spiced tones that went well in a blend. (Bit too much on its own, although may not be with a Full-Tisri, sorry- Full-City :wink: , or darker).
jameso

Postby simonp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:07 am

CakeBoy wrote:Premium Espresso Blend; A lovely Southern Italian roast

Surely you mean a Northerm Italian roast. I think doing a real dark oily southern roast would go against Steve's religion :)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby simonp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:10 am

phil wrote:I tried a "test marketing sample" of an espresso yesterday at Lord Voldemort's place.

Probably something that won't make it to market, but a blend of East African (but not Kenyan!) and El Quebradon that had all four of us going "wow! what a wake-up call".

I'm being cagey about the exact make-up because:

1. He-who-must-not-be-named might try to zap me with a "Crucius" curse (:wink:)
2. I think you do need a really good machine (like our Spazios) pulling at the warmer end of the spectrum to appreciate it.

Assuming I live through this post though, I think this stuff is "wow" material (but probably a bit too special to be commercially viable)

That certainly was a "wakeup" espresso. I'm not a fan of bright blends generally, but that one was really nice, lots of orange peel. Like you say Phil, I'm not sure how it would pull in something like my Silvia, which does favour lower acidity blends, and a slightly darker roast.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby tisri » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:13 am

Just working through a bag of the Daterra at work and it's truly heavenly. I started a coffee syndicate at work where a few of us chip in and buy a different bag each week and the Daterra is the latest, and scored a thumbs-up from all of us!
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby simonp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:17 am

I have some very fresh Smith's farm Kona which I'm keen to try, 8) I'll post my thoughts here.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:21 am

People. If you have managed to source these beans from anywhere outside of Staffs, you might want to mention it as well!
Ta
D
Gouezeri

Postby simonp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:27 am

Ooh, I have some Liquid Amber espresso blend green from Sweet Marias (in the USA). This is something similarish to Malabar gold, but, in my opinion much nicer. I found the MG too harsh, too much bite, and not sweet enough for my taste, but the SM stuff is much sweeter and the bite is more restrained. Goes nicely with milk.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:29 am

simonp wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Premium Espresso Blend; A lovely Southern Italian roast

Surely you mean a Northerm Italian roast. I think doing a real dark oily southern roast would go against Steve's religion :)

Yup you are right! Got my north and south transposed. Will edit for continuity, cheers :oops:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby jameso » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:06 am

gouezeri wrote:If you have managed to source these beans from anywhere outside of Staffs

Quite agree - we should all support local industry by buying our beans from our nearest supplier.
Now, let me see, where do I need to go? Ah, yes - you know who you are. :)
jameso

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping