Back to roasting

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Back to roasting

Postby Raf » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:40 pm

I ran out of roasted today so I decided to roast some of my own again. I had some doubts about the beans I'm using - most of them are well past 6 months old, but I always kept them dry and dark, so I figured they'd be okay.

First batch was a Brasil Sul de Minas, second a blend of Colombian Supremo Popayan and Ethiopia Sidamo, third was Harar and fourth batch was Indian Mysore.

I roasted the Brazil fairly light, just into second (as far as I could hear, the Imex isn't very easy to use). THe Colombian & Sidamo were wasted - underroasted and very uneven, I had to throw them away. The Harar was okay, and so was the Mysore, to my surprise, as this is a hard bean to roast evenly and without chaff. I proceeded to throw the three good batches together and I'll drink it for the next three days.

I lack a source for the heavy bodied Indonesians - I hear good things about Lintong and Sulawesi (I think) as a base for espresso, Monsooned Malabar as well, but I can't find them here. I might try Steve & Carolyn, if shipping to Belgium is affordable. Or I could try some Java, although I have my doubts: I once bought some Java and it tasted horrible in espresso.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:41 am

Neku wrote:I lack a source for the heavy bodied Indonesians

Do you want me to bring some over for you?
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:42 am

BTW Neku, for a real coffee fanatic using pre-roasted is a last resort. For you it seems that roasting your own is a last resort. What does that tell us? :lol:
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:53 pm

No need to bring them, Phil, I ordered some Indonesians and preblend from our very own green sources Steve & Carolyn.

The reason why I'm not really into roasting is because my local microroaster is just too good: I can't compete with her because of the limited capabilities of the Imex: I'm enough of a fanatic to prefer other people's roasts above my own if they're better ;)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:41 pm

Good answer! :wink:
phil
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping