The dangers of decaf

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The dangers of decaf

Postby jameso » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:50 pm

Anyone else spot this articleon bbc news?

Interesting really. Two different studies out that show:

1. You're more likely to get heart disease drinking decaf than caf. (Sample size looks small - 187 people).

2. The risks associated with pregnant women drinking coffee are not mitigated if they drink a decaf, as it's other chemicals not the caffeine that causes the problems.

But don't worry everyone - the BCA has assured us that coffee is quite safe. We can all sleep easy. Or do I mean lie awake trying to get to sleep? :shock:
jameso

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:11 pm

Also coffee linked to rise in pollution, third world poverty famine flood and hurricanes, its a dangerous game this coffee drinking.

Right I'm off to smoke 40 fags and drink 80 units of alcohol (and 152 espresso's) :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Steve wrote:Right I'm off to smoke 40 fags and drink 80 units of alcohol (and 152 espresso's) :)
Steve

Steve, go easy on the fags, as you're gonna need your lungs in a fair shape for when you start running to the loo ;-)
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby KateM » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:49 pm

Decaf :evil: the beverage equivalent of your appendix.
Gaggia TD, Rocky, Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs , old ''Cona Standard'' and well worn JonathanM
KateM

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:54 pm

I always like to compare decafto Alcohol free lager, just WHY! :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:59 pm

I'd drink it if it tasted any good, as I don't drink coffee for the caffeine (though many people seem to TMC members excluded) but then I suppose I have the avantage of not being sensitive to caffeine... in fact, the wife often says I'm insensitive to most things ;-)
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:09 pm

I'm not caffeine mad but I do enjoy the effects, I'd also like to point out I'm not an alcoholic but I do enjoy the effects of alcohol. :)

I think the dacafeination process does change some of the structure of the bean and until that natural decaf comes out it will never be quite as good as regular un processed coffee.

There are some good decafs out there, but there is no good alcohol free larger. :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:25 pm

Decaff coffee = pointless :(
Alcohol free lager = enema :shock:
Last edited by CakeBoy on Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Nataleeps » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:54 pm

As some one who is very caffeine intollerant, its decafinated or no coffee at all. (Caffeine does not keep me awake, but the buzzing and fuzzyness, even after only a few sips of a normal espresso, is not nice). When there is no option .....
Rancilio S26, Bezzera BB105 grinder, Cunill Tauro grinder, Hottop
Nataleeps

Postby Beanie » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:55 pm

:lol: CakeBoy, you and your enemas! :lol:

I'm sure a little mod to Steve's list can become quite the weight/fluid-loss programme:
- 40 fags
- 80 noncoholic beers
- 152 percolated coffee :shock:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:16 pm

Nataleeps wrote:As some one who is very caffeine intollerant, its decafinated or no coffee at all. (Caffeine does not keep me awake, but the buzzing and fuzzyness, even after only a few sips of a normal espresso, is not nice). When there is no option .....

Absolutely! Just kidding about the decaf coffee. Actually, I drink decaf tea because to my palate it tastes no different to regular and appears to contain less tannin.

Bean_Believer wrote:CakeBoy, you and your enemas!

Oh B_B, one look at a bottle of Kaliber and I'm inside out ........ I still have nightmares from the last one I had some years ago. Terrible business ....... eeeeuuuggghhhhh :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby HughF » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:50 am

Kaliber does OK if I'm driving, no problems afterwards. Better than overpriced lousy quality orange juice.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby jameso » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:08 am

Sounds like we have a market for www.TooMuchOrangeJuice.com - funded, of course, by the accompanying venture tmojinternet.com. Any takers?
jameso

Postby aloening » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:07 am

Back to the beginning of this thread -

I was interested to see that this report did not specify the method of decaffeination. Options are;

Methylene Chloride
Ethyl Acetate
Carbon Dioxide
Carbon Dioxide plus water (so called Sparkling Water)
Water (Swiss or otherwise)

Since I only drink the decaf we supply, which is Swiss Water processed and produces a pretty good espresso given that it is decaf, I can't comment on the other processes. However I suspect that some of these are not only bad for you but will have a bigger effect on the chemical composition than others.

Any comments ?

Adrian
Adrian Loening
aloening

Postby phil » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:11 am

Sounds like we have a market for www.TooMuchOrangeJuice.com - funded, of course, by the accompanying venture tmojinternet.com. Any takers?

Hmmm, someone's on the ball.... didn't think too many people know that's how TMC is funded ....
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping