tisri's scary adventure

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

tisri's scary adventure

Postby tisri » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:28 am

Well, I decided it was time to roast some of the Nicaraguan Jalapa I recently bought from a certain coffee supplier in the Staffordshire region.

With much trepidation I weighed out my 250g of greens and introduced them to the Hottop. This was going to be a rough ride - after my experiences with the Lozahoren I figured it wanted to be treated gently, but just wasn't sure if my heart and soul could cope with dumping beans before second crack had completed.

After what seemed like an eternity first crack started, only very gently. By this time the palpitations were very - er - palpable and my fingers were trembling near the Eject button, wondering whether I could actually bring myself to do it.

As first crack peaked, and I felt like I was cracking as much as the beans, my hands shook beside the control panel. This was going to be tough.

Reaching down inside I mustered all the strength I could summon and did it. I pressed the Eject button just as the peak of first crack passed. Some very strange objects fell into the cooling tray, they were golden brown rather than dark brown. Further mental turmoil followed as I fought the urge to dispose of the beans that would normally have been classified as ruined.

Finally, having calmed down to the point I was willing to admit to myself that I had completed a light roast I put the beans in a sealed bag and left them a couple of days. I have to say the results are truly heavenly.

That's not to say I'm a convert to the paths of lightness but for certain beans it works very nicely. Hope you enjoyed the tale as much as I'm enjoying the coffee!
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby simonp » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:23 pm

I'm sure a session of therapy will have you back to normal soon :lol: .

Seriously though, dumping before the end of 1st crack, boy that is light, lighter than I would go.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:41 pm

tisri wrote
I have to say the results are truly heavenly.

Oh no, another convert to the light roast brigade. I hope you're not trying to compete with our Steve. There's only room for one 'Milky Bar Kid' in this one-horse town!!
Q.C.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby tisri » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:57 pm

cumberpach wrote:tisri wrote
I have to say the results are truly heavenly.

Oh no, another convert to the light roast brigade. I hope you're not trying to compete with our Steve. There's only room for one 'Milky Bar Kid' in this one-horse town!!
Q.C.

I wouldn't say I'm a convert, just that some beans taste better than I ever imagined when you're gentle with them.

I think my therapy session might include some espresso blend or maybe some Monsoon Malabar. Both get pushed until second crack is going crazy.
tisri

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:13 pm

Thats my boy :) Darks good but lights better. Theres an evil rumor in TMC world that I can only light roast and that you can only light roast we'll teach um we can multi task :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:37 pm

Steve wrote:Thats my boy :) Darks good but lights better. Theres an evil rumor in TMC world that I can only light roast and that you can only light roast we'll teach um we can multi task :)

OK, I guess you meant to say "I can only dark roast"?

So, now I've done a light roast it's your turn to do some dark roasts. That means second crack and not just the first pops either. I'd love to hear what 15kg of coffee sounds like as second crack peaks :twisted:
tisri

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping