nice blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

nice blend

Postby Sunnyfield » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:15 pm

I felt very bold two days ago and I did three consecutive roasts in my IMEX. The metal casing started to glow red!

1) 125g Monsooned Malabar just into second crack;
2) 125g Harrar (H&V) burnt as the 2nd crack was not audible;
3) 63g Celebes Kalosi + 62g Colombian Supremo, start of second crack.

It is interesting to note that roasting the blend (3) went really well, and the beans were very fragrant when I poored them into my canister.

My amateurish thinking was that the Malabar would serve well as a mellow and round base, and the Harrar would add some spice to the base. I have no idea what the effect of the other two would be, but I vaguely remember somebody on a.c mentioning Indonesian and Colombians add high and low notes respectively to a blend(?)

So I do the Jamie Oliver thing and chuck them together in one canister and I start shaking the beans. 6 hours later I pull my first shot, and it is not a bad random attempt. I have no idea what flavour to attribute to which bean, but I do like the result.

So, connoisseurs, how did I do?
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:32 pm

Looks like a nice blend. And to get it right with an IMEX is surely no small feat. Congrats, Sunny!

Re what you said about the Harar and not hearing the second crack: that's exactly why I don't bother roasting anymore. It's just too fickle and when you're never sure the roast will come out the way you want it, it's not very encouraging.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby mnemonix » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:27 am

It's a never ending adventure Neku !

Sunnyfield, I think the Indonesians tend to add low notes, which would include the Malabar and the Celebes Kalosi. Brazilian is often used as a base. The Yemen should certainly add spice. But I'm still learning, reading and experimenting myself !

If you know what they all taste like as single origins you should have a good idea of what they contribute to the blend at the end of the day.

Chris.
mnemonix

Postby Steve » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:52 am

So you did pick up a bit of the Jamie from me sunny ;)

Replace the malabar with 10% indian cherry instead and your pritty close to my espresso blend. And to be honest if I was going to replace the robusta thats what I'd choose (as i know of your didsgust at useing robusta in gormet coffee). How did you get my secret recepie? ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby alans » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:27 pm

Eeffoc, do you pre roast blend or post roast blend for your espresso? I'd quite like to buy blended green beans for espresso but don't think I'll bother blending my own for a while yet.
alans

Postby Raf » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:33 pm

There's obviously a market in preblended greens that are easy to roast together (eeffoc, carolyn, you listenin'?). It's also one of the factors keeping me from spending a large chunk of cash on a HT: what would I do with 750 grams or even a kilo of roasted beans to blend post-roast?? I don't need that much!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:31 pm

You'd be surprised mate :lol:

Remind me, does K drink the dark brown nectar?
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:41 pm

She does (thank god: permission to upgrade is so much easier ;) ) but still. My locally roasted, fresh-as-can-be blend from De Boe goes visibly stale after three days, which is about the time needed to consumer 250 grams. I'm always happy when it's time to buy some new!

Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:02 pm

Hmmm, my stuff doesn't go stale that quickly. Even espresso roasts last a week or more. Some lighter roasts don't hit their peak until 5-6 days.

Are you sure they're totally fresh?
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:25 pm

I'm not standing next to her when she roasts, but I'm fairly sure she roasts every day.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:04 pm

The roast is 4 days old now, and it is getting more mellow. At one hand quite pleasant, but at the other hand also a little bit bland. High notes, is what it needs. Thanks for the tip Eeffoc. I also think the Malabar is over-represented.

Steve, you should really consider selling pre-blend greens that roast evenly. I bet you, you will have a winner! Just give it some fancy name and claim a 1000 years of trial-and-error and you have an instant legend. And oh... of course you have to place the title Dr. in front of your name! ;)
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby alans » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:03 pm

I think a TooMuchCoffee approval would be a real benefit for any new blend, but of course the approval would have to be from all members having actually tested it.

So Steve, get blending and then send us all free coffee! ;)
alans

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:04 pm

Not a bad idea both alan and Sunny. In the new year I'll blend up some Malabar Platnum ;)

no seriously I'll set some up in the new year, nothing to lose.

And toomuchcoffee.com blend hmmmmm I'm sure phil would chase me for copyright ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:32 pm

Eeffoc wrote:I'm sure phil would chase me for copyright

Hey mate we're all part of the team. :D
phil
Founder Member

Postby carolynb » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:37 pm

Hi Neku

Yes of course I have been listening! Our pre blended Espresso No 1 is our best selling green! Home roasters then get the confidence to move on to own blending and experimenting. I just wish I had time to get into this myself, 3 year olds don't entertain themselves!! Ah well school starts next September :)
Isomac Millennium & Isomac Gran Macinino
carolynb

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping