Interesting blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Interesting blend

Postby tisri » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:45 pm

I've been mucking about with small pre-roast blending lately and came up with an interesting one.

I blended 62g of Brazilian Fazenda Cachoeira with 63g of Yirg and 25g of Monsoon Malabar, mixed them well and roasted the lot until second crack was getting lively. The beans came out very slightly oily.

I gave some to a neighbour who likes coffee and she very much liked it, and I rather like it too. Just thought I'd share for anyone interested :)
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby zix » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:28 pm

Well, it sounds like a good blend to me, and a good roast degree too! Of course, I would make 100g+100g+40g with the heatgun. Could be a bit troublesome getting the monsoon malabar ready at the same time as the others, perhaps, but on the other hand it roasts so unevenly on its own so perhaps it doesn't matter.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby simonp » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:46 pm

Looks like a lively mix, I guess the dark roast mutes some of the sharpness of the Yirg, I use about 10% in a blend, but that is at a much lighter roast so needs to be kept lower.

Good to see someone else posting blends :)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby tisri » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:55 pm

zix wrote:Well, it sounds like a good blend to me, and a good roast degree too! Of course, I would make 100g+100g+40g with the heatgun. Could be a bit troublesome getting the monsoon malabar ready at the same time as the others, perhaps, but on the other hand it roasts so unevenly on its own so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Normally I'd roast a 250g batch but my Hottop has a dodgy element and can't get into second crack, so I'm roasting smaller batches. I'm getting a new element imminently so I'll be back to full-size roasts whenever I need them!
tisri

Postby tisri » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:56 pm

Incidentally I also tried 62g Celebes Kalosi, 68 of Ethiopian Djimma and 20 of Monsoon. It's waiting to be drunk.
tisri

Postby zix » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:56 am

Hmmm... What´s the Djimma like? Never tasted that.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby tisri » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:08 pm

I quite like the Djimma - it blends well with the Brazilian. It's got slightly chocolatey tones to it and is quite similar to Yirg. A lot of people seem to rate Yirg and Sidamo higher than Djimma - I've never tasted Sidamo but am rather fond of my Djimma.
tisri

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping