Bean spreadsheet, how sad?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby pault » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:36 am

a) I didn't realise this site had turned into a double-entry book-keeping convention (people will be listing their dosers next) :evil:
b) what's wrong with my incredibly sophisticated stock control system? - I look up and see how many green bean packages are hanging over the top of my kitchen cabinet ... :lol:
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby simonp » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:50 am

what's wrong with my incredibly sophisticated stock control system? - I look up and see how many green bean packages are hanging over the top of my kitchen cabinet ...

That was what I was using, but I kept finding that I was short on certain beans, I had some but not enough. I usually found this after starting to mix for a pre-blend roast :roll:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby simonp » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:55 am

tisri wrote:
simonp wrote:Come on guys and girls, where are all the blend suggestions for my beans list?

Try 40g of Fazenda Cachoeira, 40g of Yirg and 20g of Monsoon. Adjust the proportions to your taste, but I'd recommend keeping the Monsoon at no more than 20% of the total.

Ooh, 40% Yirg would be too much for me, too sharp (at my roast level at least :wink: ). I haven't used any MM for ages, in fact my spreadshett says I have none, but I just remembered I have 2x250g bags under my desk here. I went off the MM as it has no real sweetness, I have some ages Lintong which has the aged funk, plus a dark molasses sweetness, it's really nice.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby mattmills » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:40 pm

With regards to the different Kenyans, the best thing that I can recommend is not to worry too much about the individual estate, this does not have any implication on the coffee (Kenya has a completely different coffee market structure). Just make sure you discuss with your trader the cup profile you are after... the guys out here will ensure that this is then matched.

Ask for the AA or AB or PB TOP!!!!
mattmills

Postby tisri » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:18 pm

simonp wrote:

Ooh, 40% Yirg would be too much for me, too sharp (at my roast level at least :wink: ). I haven't used any MM for ages, in fact my spreadshett says I have none, but I just remembered I have 2x250g bags under my desk here. I went off the MM as it has no real sweetness, I have some ages Lintong which has the aged funk, plus a dark molasses sweetness, it's really nice.

The MM isn't supposed to have sweetness - I often blend in a small amount (typically 10-20% maximum) to add an earthy undertone to my blends. I usually roast Yirg until the first pops of second crack, the Fazenda into a slowly rolling second crack and Monsoon until second crack is going wild and the beans are at least slightly oily.

My original blend was using the Fazenda, Ethiopian Djimma and Monsoon but I found swapping Yirg for Djimma also gave a good result.

If you roast Yirg lighter than I do (which is entirely possible :-) ) try increasing the proportion of Fazenda (say 60-30-15). I devised my original blend wanting something with chocolate tones but without being too sweet.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby simonp » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:24 pm

No, your Yirg roast would be about the same as mine, and there was me thinking you nuked everything :lol: Looks like you are turning to the light side!

I haven't done much Yirg since getting the Hottop, so maybe it comes out less sharp than with air roasting (quite likely)
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby simonp » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:15 pm

Well, I now have some Kenyan in my stash, well, I did have some, but I roasted the lot already as I bought 250g instead of the 500g I meant to :roll: . I am resting it now, some Gethumbwini peaberry.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping