Another one

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Another one

Postby simonp » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:02 am

Ok, here sis another one.

This one is one I found that is supposed to attempt similar flavours (from deep lows to highs) thatare in a blend popular Sateside, "Black Cat"

The blend is thus:

Roast 1: 125g Yemen Mocha (Hasbean), 63g Sulawesi (Hasbean), 62g Yirgacheffe (Hasbean). This lot roasted to about 20s of 2nd crack.

Roast 2 125g Bolivian (Hasbean), 63g Brazil Carmo Esatae (Sweet Marias), 62 Nanga Farms Robusta (Sweet Marias). This lot was supposed to be roasted till there was a sheen of oil on the beans, but I just couldn't make myself take a Brazil that far, so it was about 60s after the first pop of 2nd.

This is like a party in a cup! Lots of sweetness, loads of cocoa flavour I'm guseeing from the Yemen, and the Bolivian (replacing the Ugandan Budadiri in the original blend, the Bolivian being chocolaty like the Budadiri), lots of spice and bite(Yemen & robusta), and the Yirg comes through well too.

This is certainly different from the previous smooth blend, but has a good full flavour range. A 6 bean blend may seem OTT, but it's worth a go if you fancy an espresso with the full works. I'll be interested to see how it is in a cappa.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby simonp » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:18 pm

Tried a ristretto today with this blend. Ooh, that has some kick, quite intense, but still quite sweet. There is certainly some great rich crema with this. Surprisingly despite the darkish roast of some of the beans the roast taste is not that strong.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby simonp » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:27 pm

Nearing the end of this batch now. I've enjoyed it, but it is a little too intense for everyday drinking for me. Cetrtainly nice for an occasional go though, and makes a real mean macciato.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping