Where to go for advice on roasts?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Where to go for advice on roasts?

Postby fiend » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:29 pm

I am pretty new to home roasting - currently working my way through a whole lot of single origins in a popcorn machine on the balcony.

It's all pretty random, with most of them ending up one side or other of the second crack, and not too dark. I've tried to look around for advice on the amount of roast for each type of bean (just single origin so far), but haven't found anything useful.

Are there any resources where I can get roasting recommendations for particular varieties? (eg. Blacken a skyberry, lightly roast a Mandheling...) The bean forum here seems to be focussed on blending, and recommendations get buried in the archive over time.
fiend

another thread

Postby pault » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:24 pm

There was another thread - entitled "Hottop Roasting Times" that might give you some hints

if more people had contributed it would have been better :evil:
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:44 pm

Ooh, 'ello Mr Grumpy is back again ;-)
Fiend, have you checked out Sweet Marias there's plenty of info there on roasting and on different bean types. Then there is Ken Davids' Coffee Review which is worth checking out along with his book "Home Coffee Roasting" or if you want an idea on roasting times then I'd check out the blend threads by SimonP or the I-Roast threads as these deal with hot air roasting, rather than the drum style of the HotTop.
These threads should also give you some ideas:
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... ic&t=1469&

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... ic&t=1386&

The search tool is your friend.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby fiend » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:39 pm

Thanks for that. Looks like the newbie curse has struck again. I really did do a whole lot of searching before I posted!! :-)
Hot air gun roaster, Mazzer Mini E, La Pavoni Europiccola, Aeropress
http://lapavoni.info/
http://otherwiseitwouldbequiet.blogspot.com/
fiend

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:51 pm

It does kind of help if you were here to read the threads in the first place and have an idea of their contents to use for keywords ;-)
As I'm sure you've probably noticed from the current I-Roast thread, it does take a while to get a feel for things.
D
Gouezeri

Postby Terje » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:13 am

gouezeri wrote:Fiend, have you checked out Sweet Marias

Who basically never recommends anything darker than a medium roast...

The roast one prefers is very personal, not really something that can be said on a general basis. Experiment, take notes and find what you like.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:33 am

Terje,
I know what you mean, but if you read his detailed notes on each bean type he does state which varieties he thinks can be roasted more than a Full City + (eg. Shinzan Arabica, Monte Leon "Miel", Harar etc.) but it is clear that he prefers lighter roasts in general. However, it is hard on the net to find more detailed notes on origins than Thom's, so I think he is still a worthwhile resource and it's good to have a starting place when roasting something you've not tried before.
D
Gouezeri

Postby Terje » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:23 pm

gouezeri wrote:Terje,
I know what you mean, but if you read his detailed notes on each bean type he does state which varieties he thinks can be roasted more than a Full City + (eg. Shinzan Arabica, Monte Leon "Miel", Harar etc.) but it is clear that he prefers lighter roasts in general. However, it is hard on the net to find more detailed notes on origins than Thom's, so I think he is still a worthwhile resource and it's good to have a starting place when roasting something you've not tried before.
D

You're right, I shouldn't be knocking the site. And that wasn't my intention.
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Re: Where to go for advice on roasts?

Postby tisri » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:15 pm

fiend wrote:Are there any resources where I can get roasting recommendations for particular varieties? (eg. Blacken a skyberry, lightly roast a Mandheling...) The bean forum here seems to be focussed on blending, and recommendations get buried in the archive over time.

Easy - just roast everything into a rollnig second crack. :D

Seriously, like others have said, it's a matter of personal taste rather than right and wrong. I seem to have acquired a reputation as being a resident dark roaster for some reason, although others prefer lighter roasts.

For myself I roast anything for the espresso machine and Monsoon Malabar until second crack is popping wildly. Most other coffees I roast until the first pops of second, and coffees like Blue Mountain, Kenyan etc to the tail end of first crack.

Figure on taking the first batch to the end of first or start of second and adjust from there according to your taste, and you won't go far wrong.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping