Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Another mad blend experiment

Postby simonp » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:44 pm

This time:

5 parts Brazilian (washed) Lagoa
2.5 parts Guatamalan Antigua
2.5 parts Sumatran Lintong
1.25 parts Yirgacheffe

All roasted together, and taken to about 235C (455F) measured on a thermocouple just above the bean mass, which was just to a rolling second. The beans were a dark mahogany brown, shiny but with no oil apart from a couple of spots on a few beans. There were also some divots. I took the roast a little darker than I usually go as the Lintong needs that little bit darker roast, and the Antigua sweetens also at this level.

I was going for something a little less acidic than my recent blends, going for a darker, earthier flavour.

I really should have tried this new Brazilian on it own first, but form its description, I thought it might go well in this blend, so went straight for it.

First impressions at 3 days rest:
Not the largest ammount of crema in the world, probably due to the non dry processed base, and 3 out of the 4 beans being wet processed, or at least washed. The crema held on top, but was pretty much gone with the first sip.

The taste was darkly sweet, there was noticeibly that deep earthy taste from the Lintong. Certainly some chocolate in there which I presume came from the Brazil, as none of the others should give this. The antigua certainly gives sweetness at this roast level, and a little liquorice. Initially I couldn't taste the highlight sfrom the Yirg, but it appears at the end as a lemon lift at the end. There were no floral notes, but the roast was probably a little dark to allow these to come through, but it still worked as a highlight.

I'll post more notes later.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby simonp » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:24 pm

Tried this some more over the last couple of days and liking it lots, it is very sweet, and definitely has that traditional espresso flavour. It works quite nicely in a cappucino too, the erathyness and choclate come through the milk.
This might be fune with some aged Lintong that I have, which has a lovely bittersweet, treacle to it.

I roasted another similar batch today, but with the Brazil content a 50/50 mix of the Fazenda da Lagoa and Cachoera. I'm hoping for a bit of extra sweetness, and more crema from the Cach. I'll post my findings.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping