cupping?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

cupping?

Postby Latte-michel » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:56 pm

geustion, is cupping the methode with gring coffee en then pour hot water on it and taste it with a spoon or is it also making an espresso on a espressomachine. Can any one tell me if i am write or wrong. please help me out here.
mirage, mini mazzer, dutch latte-art champion 2003,04
Latte-michel

Postby stevenzaat » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:30 pm

Michel,

Best way is indeed grind some coffee and pour some hot water on it, although I also try to taste an espresso from it. In the following article on this website you can find any instructions how to cup and at what tastes you can be prepared, which make it easier to distinct the charastics of a coffee:
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... =&ceid=105

Hope this will help.

Best regards,
Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:27 pm

there's nothing wrong with espresso cupping as well as formal cupping. the formal cupping can highlight the delicate aspect of the bean but the espresso cupping can let you know what to let you know what's in the espresso cup.

Its really what works for you.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:57 pm

There was also this usefull bit of info from Matt Mills on another thread yesterday:
"Couple of notes on Cupping Espresso. Pull two shots, pour and stir one sachet of sugar into one shot and leave the other one. Cup both the espresso in the normal way... use a teaspoon and suck the coffee from the spoon... make sure you get the slurping noise.

To start with you will say that all you can taste is the sugar... but trust me, if you do this and then either compare two different origins/ blends the cups with the sugar suddenly have far greater expression. It can be described as give the coffee a vocabulary. When i was trained for this it took me a long time to take this on board but it is quite incredible."
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:15 am

Seeing as a thread has opened up on this specifically. I'd like to clarify something, are we actually saying one teaspoon of sugar for 30cl of fluid...?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby mattmills » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:17 am

Oh god now you have me... I use either a set sachet of sugar(the long thin ones) when back in the UK... i found that it was a little too much, however the most important thing was to use the same amoutn every time. Out here in Kenya i just use.... well its a bit of a guess but its one teaspoon.

By the way to answer the original question.... actual cupping is niether the Bowl Method or the Espresso method, it is just a term for evaluating the quality of a coffee. When doing actual cupping is it imporant not only to taste the coffee but to smell the dry and wet grounds.
Both methods are both equally as good...
mattmills

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping