Yep, another "this weeks blend post"

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Yep, another "this weeks blend post"

Postby simonp » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:49 pm

Having tried a heavier bodied Columbian based blend last time, I went for a sweeter big crema Brazilian based blend using the usual Cachoeira bourbon beans, along with the Celebes/Sulawesi taht I think works well to give the base more oomph.

30% Brazilian Cach
30% Sulawesi
20% Harrar
20% Aged Lintong

I roasted the Brazil and Harrar together, just 10 to 20 seconds into 2nd crack.

The Sulawesi and Lintong were roasted together into a good rolling 2nd crack, but not so far as getting oils in the roast.

I resisted 2 days before trying it, even though it smelled fantastic in the 1-way valve bag, lots of chcolate, caramel and nuts.
I had high hopes for this blend, as I have used the base components together before with good results. I also really like Harrar in an espresso blend with the fruity wineyness. The Aged lintong I hoped would add some nice earthy bottom, and smokey bite. Also I really liked some mixed roast blends I have had before.

This certainly has lots of crema, very gloupy coming out of the spouts 8) . Most of the beans are dry processed, which really helps with this. The crema is also a nice brick red colour, dense and thick. This tasted just as good as it looked, overall really sweet, and bitter sweet too, and the light and dark roast combination gives a really full flavour, done aa a ristretto. Lots of caramel and syruppy flavours, along with the Harrar fruit. You could argue that there are not the brighter acidic flavours that some like, but maybe swapping the Harrar for some Yirgacheffe would give you those. I might try this at some point, but the Yirg would have to be done separately to the other 2 roasts.
I haven't tried this with milk in a cappa yet, but I suspect it will go very nicely.

Definitely my favourite attempt of recent times.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby stevenzaat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:31 pm

Thanks again Simon. I love youw weekly updates. I do not post enough blend ost at the moment while I am drinking some blens from SM and stick to some previous blends from you. Next time I will try the Java/Yemen blend, but this has to wait for at least a week. Anyway thanks for your generousity to share share all your experiences!

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby simonp » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:33 pm

stevenzaat wrote:Thanks again Simon. I love youw weekly updates.

Your too kind :oops: .

I don't really know what I'm doing, but have had good advice from the likes of Phil and Steve, and the postings on various forum/sites of Jim Schulman, plus of coarse the great guides on Sweet Marias website.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby wang » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:46 pm

If only my buds were as sensitive as yours. I find espresso tends to overwhelm my tongue and I can only really tell the difference in roast level but not characteristics in origins unless its really obvious. In a 7oz cappa with a double shot, I can really only discern a horrible shot from an average or good one and it has a generic milky-coffee taste. I guess I'm still used to black coffee straight from the press!
solis maestro, bodum columbia, starbucks extreme mug
rancilio rocky and nancy
swissmar alpenrost
black & decker heatgun
lidl brand air popper
wang

Postby simonp » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:00 am

wang wrote:If only my buds were as sensitive as yours. I find espresso tends to overwhelm my tongue and I can only really tell the difference in roast level but not characteristics in origins unless its really obvious. In a 7oz cappa with a double shot, I can really only discern a horrible shot from an average or good one and it has a generic milky-coffee taste. I guess I'm still used to black coffee straight from the press!

I find espresso really brings out the characteristics in some beans, although it is true that some of the lighetr aromatics can get lost.

In a 7oZ double shot cappa I find the blend really noticeable, particularly the sweetness of a blend.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby wang » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:19 am

A cappa depends more on the milk texture for me, as we need to hit just the right point on the boiler cycle for steaming. I flick the steam switch after a shot, and then 90 seconds later I get rather violent and microfoam capable steam. If I'm early by more than 15 seconds it's not quite as usable, and if I'm late by 10 seconds or more the thermostat will click off during steaming. My machines' finicky-ness might be exaggerated as I've a three hole tip and the same boiler in my Nancy.
solis maestro, bodum columbia, starbucks extreme mug
rancilio rocky and nancy
swissmar alpenrost
black & decker heatgun
lidl brand air popper
wang

Postby mattmills » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:40 am

Couple of notes on Cupping Espresso. Pull two shots, pour and stir one sachet of sugar into one shot and leave the other one. Cup both the espresso in the normal way... use a teaspoon and suck the coffee from the spoon... make sure you get the slurping noise.

To start with you will say that all you can taste is the sugar... but trust me, if you do this and then either compare two different origins/ blends the cups with the sugar suddenly have far greater expression. It can be described as give the coffee a vocabulary. When i was trained for this it took me a long time to take this on board but it is quite incredible.
mattmills

Postby Olings » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:54 am

Your posts are very interesting and educational, Simon! Thank you! It's information like this that fuels my interest for coffee further. I really want to get into the finer sides of tasting coffee not just buying fresh beans, and being happy with a decently pulled shot.

I'd love to hear about tips and tricks about cupping, and neat things like the one Matt mentioned is really cool! I've tried to read articles on cupping and coffee regions and so on, but they often tend to be a bit overwhelming at the first try. But maybe I'll give them a try again soon.

Again; thank you Simon! I've printed out this post to keep in my personal records so that when I in the future (hopefully) get to this point in the appreciation of coffee I'll have your recipe to try out. :D
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby simonp » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:43 am

Thanks for the info Matt, I hadn't really thought about "cupping" espresso, you don't see much about this. I'll give the sugar thing a try. I presume the sugar mutes some of the intensity in the espresso making the flavours easier to pick out.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby mattmills » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:59 am

In a way... I think what happens is the neutralisation of some of the acids, with the reaction of others allowing them to be more pronounced....
Once you have this idea it is quite incredible, as you maybe aware cupping in Italy is not done through normal the normal bowl method but obviously thorugh esprsso cupping. When doing this it not only exprsses different sides to the coffee but it is also easier to spot any defects or ify flavours.

I did say that i would organise something in Peterborough on this (similar to Steve one) but unfortunatly as my situation has changed... this might be a little difficult
mattmills

Postby simonp » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:06 pm

mattmills wrote:I did say that i would organise something in Peterborough on this (similar to Steve one) but unfortunatly as my situation has changed... this might be a little difficult

Yeah, that would have been fun. I guess Kenya is a little far for a TMC outing :lol:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping