As its so quiet - another blend post!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

As its so quiet - another blend post!

Postby simonp » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:44 pm

As its been so quiet round here for the past day or so, I thought I'd post this weeks blend attempt.

I thought I'd try something different to a Brazilian base, and I know some people (mostly US) use a Columbian as a base. So, this is what I tried:

50% Columbian (La Manuela)
25% Yirgacheffe
25% Aged Lintong

I was going for something with quite a heavy body, a bit of smokey, earthy bite, and some bright aromiatics, hence my bean choice.

I roasted all together, as they need similar roast time. I kept the roast quite light, just a few snaps of second crack. I got a good even roast.

The taste is certainly good for a kick up the a**e :lol: . My first shot (3 days rest) was ristretto length, and the brightness was quite intense, but noet unpleasant. I upped the brew temperature a tad, tweaked the grind a touch coarser, and ran a full length double. Better, still quite :shock: but nice with a piece of fudge on the side. The crema is a little lacking, being all wet processed beans, but not too bad. This works quite well in a cappuccino, as the heavy body, and aromatics come through the milk well, although I think a Brazilian base (despite some saying it gets lost in milk, but that may be in lattes :evil: ) gives nice sweetness that was missing.

An interesting experiment, but I still prefer a Brazilian as a base component.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping